Producer's role

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by ellocogris, Aug 21, 2009.

1. ellocogris

ellocogris

Jul 6, 2008
    Hi Janek,

first I'll like to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts, learned a lot from them and influenced the way I focus on music. You are a true inspiration and a great human being, wish you the best man.

Ok, just needed to said that. Now I'll go and ask you my first question in the forum:

What's really the producers role in the actual bisness?
    I will like to know what are the tasks that a producer has in a record session.
    Also, can you describe a tipical day of you as a producer?

I will really appreciate your input. Thanks a lot!

2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    hi, thanks for the kind words.

Being a producer really covers a great many things. it can include the writing and arranging of the songs, tracking, overdubbing, mixing, mastering, booking musicians for the dates, booking studio time. many many things.

At the end of the day it really boils down to having and maintaining relationships with people, and know how to get the best out of people in a recording situation. Know everyone's strengths, their weaknesses, and taylor the session accordingly.

There are things that give a producer an edge and a sound like a good knowledge of microphones for instance. Getting the best sound or the right sound for a project is hugely important for me. Knowing about instruments, pre amps, EQ's, compressors, mixing connsoles..... all of these things go towards building your unique voice and ability as a producer. it's a life long process just like anything else in music, but it's a really fun adventure getting to work with all kinds of different artists and musicans in the most beautiful studios all over the world.

Easy,

Janek

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021