Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Producing a solo cd as a up and coming bassist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Russy, May 10, 2003.

1. I have been thinking of producing my own solo bass cd. I am only playing for 5 years now still very young and immature, but I feel I have some ideas I want to express. The band I am playing now I can’t express myself the way I want to and thus I want to produce my own cd. I have a aardvark box and software to record with 4 channels, bass, bass amp, BFX 708 and Cakewalk express. I don’t know what other more talented and experienced bassist people would think about me when I finished it. Probably “oh no what was he thinking “ or “this not worth the cd it is burned on”.
    A lot of bassist think “explosive “ chops when they hear solo cd , but not me I try to listen to the whole thing. What goes into producing a good solo cd – lots of talent and no unique sound or having a unique sound with not that much talent and perseverance?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ask Steve Lawson and Michael manring, they have a forum here, and are solo bassists, they could give you some advice.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i have no usefull advice at all. but, i will ask why you dont try and find different musicians to play with. personally i think solo bass sounds like butt, regardless of who's doing it. id rather hear a guy like manring perform in a band.

whenever i see someone say they want to "expand the boundries of bass", i think why not just take up an instrument which can be played solo and still sound good. i think there's a reason why there's more solo pianists/guitarists/etc. than solo bassists and i dont think its because of accepted roles of the instrument.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    It doesn't matter what others might think of you. If you have ideas that you think would work well in a solo bass format, go for it! :)

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Russy,

what goes into it? it's all about music. has to be, or it won't work. If the way you hear music is solo bass, then that's definitely the way to go, and it really doesn't matter one bit what naysayers think of the role of bass or the appropriateness of the instrument for solo playing. There are lots of solo players around now - check some of them out, have a listen to what's out there, decide what you like and what you don't like, take influences from wherever they inspire you and enjoy yourself. Don't think album, think music. If at the end of the process of exploring solo bass, you have an album's worth of material, that's great. If not, it'll still be a valid part of your musical journey.

Start by writing a couple of tunes, getting them to the place where you could play them at an open mic night. Invite a couple of open-minded friends round to hear it, and give you some feedback.

Most of all, enjoy it! Make the noises you want to hear. It could end up being a two week flirtation with a new way of playing, or could be the start of a whole career. Who knows. right now, that's not the important bit.

enjoy

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    By all means go for it. If anything, just for yourself to learn by. It's amazing the things you find wrong in your playing when you sit back and listen to yourself, without concentrating on playing. Also they are quite fun to listen back to years later to see how much you've improved. Should you become a proficient engineer, this will help you in later years should you record in a studio.

Word of warning tho. The primary audience of bass solo albums are bassists. Just ask any of your non-muso friends (even fellow muso's) if they've heard of some of the best known soloists discussed on this very forum. Most of them won't have heard of them.

Most of the time when we bassists listen to bass soloists, we want to be amazed by their dazzeling technique, which is why after all they became soloists.

7. Russy,
    I just released a CD of my own material as a bassist/keyboard player/producer/writer. (Click HERE to hear it ) My approach to this project was to put out a high quality product that not only appeals to bass players, but to the general public as well. My advice to you is to get your ideas down on tape in some form where you can critique it and make appropriate changes. When you have all your ideas ready, get the best musicians you can afford or find to accompany you and do it for real. If you're not going to use musicians, make sure any other loops, etc that you put down work as well as they can for what you're doing.
    RK