1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Production neck-through or custom bolt on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malicous, Apr 29, 2006.

1. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I anticipate having around $2000 in the next month or two to spend on a 6 string bass. If I am unable to find a used Ken Smith or MTD for that price, I plan on getting a Carvin Icon 6 made, and having my local repair shop install an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp and Bartolini quad coil pickups in it. Or I will get a Bolt on Stambaugh with the pickups and preamp already installed for about the same price. My question is; are there significant differences in sustain and attack/punch between neck-through and bolt on basses? I have always played and liked the “attack” and “snap” of bolt-ons in the past (I couldn't afford neck-throughs anyway), but I have been playing theatre productions recently and have needed better sustain than what my current bolt-ons have. What do you guys think, should I sacrifice the neck-through feature in order to go for a custom?

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'd go with the Stambaugh - change the electronics in a Carvin, you still have a Carvin when you want to sell it. With the Stambaugh, you don't have the baggage you do with a Carvin.

IMHO, Carvins are seriously under-rated but the market still depreciates them a lot. The newer electronics are good, but still not up to the stuff the big boys use.

Just my $0.0000002

Dan K.

3. A bolt on can have great sustain. My Dingwall Afterburner and my Warmoth 4 string are both bolt-ons with plenty of sustain.

You may actually like the Icon electronics and not want to replace them. Here are some sound clips I recorded:http://www.putfile.com/bassviking

What basses are you using now?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Nothing a well-made bass and a high-mass brass bridge can't handle.

BO is my choice, but I'm more of a funk player.

5. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for all the thoughtfull advice.
    I checked out those clips. It sounds quite nice. Somone who reviewed it on TB said the Icons sounds like a mix between a Sirrus and a Ken Smith, I think so too. I think maybe I will get one somewhere down the line, but for now It seems the majority opinion is that I should get the Stambaugh bolt on, specially if I can get better sustain than my current basses.
    Right now my main bass is a customized early 90's Nathan East style Yamaha five string. I also have an all Mahogany custom 4 by Tenyson Guitars and a 78 Fender Musicmaster. I also play a late 60's Kay upright if I am asked to.