Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Products to help develop ear

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by linebacker51, Mar 30, 2003.

1. if any one could recommend me products that could help me improve the accuarcy (sp?) of my ear i would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    learn your scales inside and out, this will drasticly improve your ear training, at least thats IMO. Learn the patterns too, ie: I-V-IV, etc.

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76986&highlight=ear+trainer

I highly recommend the Guitar and Bass Ear Trainer. I've been using this for the past month, and it has greatly improved my ear. For the first time a little while ago, I was able to listen to a passage I was trying to figure out, and could hear exactly what the interval relation was of each note. I knew how to play it before I even touched my bass. Given, it was a short passage, but it was a huge step for me.
    www.byEar.com

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG]

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Isolation is important. By that
    I meen you have to be able to ignore the other instruments and focos on your particular one. Also listen to the song first. Lots' of people play over the top of the song and wind up missing most of it. Take the song apart in stages. This should help.:)

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    good point and one that I should have thought of myself. Since dabbling into piano/keyboards a bit, my ear has greatly improved.

7. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Sometimes a little critical listening will go a long way:)

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Your ears?

Seriously, there's no miracle product you can buy to develop your ears. Listen to everything you like to listen to, then see if you can play it. Once you can, find something that you can't play and learn that. It's more or less the way I learned and continue learning to play.

9. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    It is true there is no miracle product that will grant you perfect pitch or perfect relative pitch for $29.95. However, training your ear is like training your body in that proper excercises will maximize your results.

There is a good book out there called "Hearing and Writing Music", or something of that nature. There are countless excercises in that book that have become extremely beneficial to the development of my ear.

In the end it's all about becoming accustomed to the chromatic scale tones. Singing helps along with being able to reproduce tones you hear, be it by voice or instrument.

Sit down at a piano(or any instrument for that matter, although i prefer piano for this) and play a single note. The characteristics of each note in the chromatic scale are a really obscure thing. I made a notebook and wrote down my impressions of the qualities of each note. For instance. I think of the note D as having a brilliant bold sound to it, and E flat as having a more reserved, mellowness.

Of course this is completely subjective to each individual, but it helps us become acquanited with the differences between the tones, and that's what matters.

hope this helps a little.