1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Professional advice solicited--headless bass string adapter mounting question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by yodedude2, Jul 5, 2017.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

question: should i mount the headless string adapter so that the clamps crush the silken part of the string, or mount the adapter so that it used standard 36" double-ball-end strings, realizing that the latter choice would clamp normal strings on their metal winding?

context: i am assembling a headless bass. i am currently roughing in the hardware geometry and am ready to mount the string adapter above the nut. i noticed that if i mount the "status" brand string adapter in a position to use 36" double-ball strings, it means that my favorite strings, medium-gauge ghs pressurewounds with a 37.5" winding length, will be clamped on their windings. i do not like the thought of that; i would much prefer the strings be clamped on their silk ends to preserve string integrity. sadly, ghs pressurewounds are not commercially available in double-ball spec that i can tell. the attached pic shows the string adapter mounted in a spot to accommodate double-ball strings; one can see my favorite ghs strings mounted.

your opinions on this matter are appreciated. thanks!

100_4497.JPG

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I don't think clamping the strings on the windings will make and difference at all. With locking tuners and locking nuts on a guitar they clamp right on the windings with no I'll effects.

If you really want GHS may custom make you a double ball end set of strings. You might want to reach out to them.

3. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    Rob Green's design (Status - Graphite) headless top cap is (in my opinon) the best that's been designed so far. But it is designed for a body adjusting truss rod. You can miss the centre screw, drill a long channel and still get a truss rod key under / through it. Or you could make a bend well in the extra unused space.

4. I don't mean to sound glib but my thought would be that if you think there's ANY chance you will want to use double ball strings then mount the adapter in the appropriate location. If you're sure you will never want to use the double ball end strings then mount the adapter where ever you want. Within reason, of course.:D