Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Professional Bass jobs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Impulsee, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ok, lets say im amazing at bass, like..amazing. But other then a band, what am i good for. What are other jobs out there that bass is used. I know studio players, but waht exactly do they do, and is the pay nice. what kinda education do you need and what are other jobs.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how 'bout being a bassist for a cruise line. i always thought that would be a pretty cool gig...

3. Try one of those traveling ministries. Ya know like that Joyce Meyers lady, I know some guys that did that for a while and it PAYS, if you can put up with it.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    being a bassist for a living can be both incredibibly rewarding and extremely frustrating - i have played numerous Cruise Ships- it was a long time ago and i was young and i had a blast, but it grows old-
    there are many ways you can make money playing bass- be a sideman for a platinum selling artist- , freelance, do a Vegas style production show, play blues, disco, jazz, COUNTRY!! play the local dive, I ve done all of the above- in fact , in about 5 hours, i am getting on a plane and going to the middle of nowhere to play what i wouldnt exactly call the pinnacle of musical content.
    But somehow, im still a little bit excited about it- i dont know , i guess the fact that someone is really willing to pay for a Hotel room for me to come and play my bass still thrills me, no matter what the capacity is.
    In the meanwhile, i sit here and review a series of emails of increasing promise- Cirque du Soleil has emailed progressively aknowledging the "passing" of my audition and the presence of my name in their potential performes data bank- Its by no means the promise of a job, i am not optimistic when there are so many incredibly talented young basists in the WORLD! but its good to know im i there somewhere - i sat all weekend and watched the Bravo Channel show several performances and the new show " Fire Within" makes me wish i were a part of that- but im not getting younger..
    so , there are a zillion ways to make a buck playing bass- but believe me, you dont do it for the money, you do it because you HAVE to- like breathing, you HAVE to- curse or blessing- thats the way it is for me...

ok, rant over, see you guys in a week..

5. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i understand if someone says "I am good at playing bass" or "I am not bad ot bass" but how can u say "I am amazing at bass"??? :eek: :confused: :eek:

i would like to hear you then :cool:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've met many a successful studio musician and bassist. Pretty much they are on-call whenever any given studio(taht has them in their registry) needs a bassist. It might be for the studio that records commercial ditties for ABC it might be the theme song for the NBA on NBC whatever the call, a good studio bassist responds to it and plays the part, gets some cash and buys a new amp(and groceries and stuff ;)

there is a good deal of money to be made in studio play, you just have to "get in" so to speak; your playing has to be perfectly clean and you must do what the song asks for and nothing more. Some studio gigs might involve playing the bass part for the next backstreet boys single(assuming it isn't all synths) it can be quite a promising lifestyle.

I wouldn't mind being a studio call bassist, I'm sure its a difficult job, but i'm also sure it can be very rewarding.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Jingles....I don't know man....

Maybe if you double on Upright.

It seems to me that sampling and synths have taken over a good percentage of the jingle scene. Some guy is bangin' that stuff out on a Mac these days.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Adrian, how bad was the cruise boat thing?

Is there any way around sharing a cabin?Is the Food availible to you at all good? How on call are you vrs knowing your schedule? Ive though seriously about doin this lately I figure about a year and I'd have enough money for a down payment on a condo/house

AJ

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you're as good as you say your are, join the musicians union and work on Broadway.

holy crap! those guys are like machines down there, hitting their parts perfectly.

but, i've been to a few auditions, and lets just say if you do miss your mark, most directors and conductors arent afraid to give you a piece of their minds. :mad:

but other than that, its prolly the most steady and well paying gig i know of, aside from touring.

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Amazing, huh??

Wrong forum. Moved to Misc.

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Looks like he's being hypothetical here, not arrogant....

Another option is the service bands, of which the Air Force is the best. And the hardest to get into. But if you want to gig for 20 years, with health, dental and other benefits, and retire with pay, there's no better job!

[/]end recuiting commercial[/] :D I love my job!!

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I wonder how much Disneyland pays musicians. They probably have good insurance and benefits, too.

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Cruise ship-
    Pay was OK; rooms were small, food was good,
    travel was fascinating (the Bahamas; Baja California,in my case), the women...ah the women...the music was Top 40 / pop all the way.
    Only good part was a few clubs in Cabo where other cruise ship players hung and we JAMMED!
    Jazz! R&B! Felt so good! You have to sight-read impeccably and own nice slacks & shirts!

Studio- lotsa luck- the epitome of professional playing- gotta have chops, tone, feel, & the ability
    to play ANY type of music that is written. A very closed circuit- As is natural, the players who cut it get called back, & that's what they do-Here in LA-Stubenhaus, (sp?) Sklar, et al- yeah, THAT's an easy circle to play in!! (But yes, it could be done-stay off TB & practice your ass off & play out forever!)
    Start/join a band- (originals) sure-1 in oh, 100,000,000 makes a record and becomes a rock star.
    Club work-it's there, I do it now-playing live is as essential to your musical development as practicing, as is playing with others.
    & that's the point- It ain't about the $$$- it's about being the best bass player you can be, & when you do that at any time, at any point, better than s-e-x, Bro' (please do not mention this to my wife!)
    Or....there's always Guitar Center...Just kidding!
    Good luck-now go play your bass!

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have been a professional musician for 17 years. I have played in wedding bands, rock bands, classical ensembles, duos, trios, jazz groups, you name it. I've recorded stuff that I would never tell anyone that that was me on that record.

That was all when I was younger.
    I am in a better position now to choose my gigs carefully.

Now I mainly perform solo concerts of new classical music for the electric bass. I also play jazz but make the most cake doing the classical stuff.

Having said that, there are countless ways to employ yourself as a bassist, but you have to advertise yourself anad just take the gig !

15. LOL i never said i was amazing, IM just saying what if i am. Iv only been playing for about 2 years, and im 16 but i was just wondering lets say someone was amazing could they take it into a job. I wasent being like..conceded (thanks for understanding pacman :) ) i was just saying WHAT IF just to see different jobs cause i was really curious. Maby its something ill wanna do, im not sure, thanx everoyne for the posts.

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

can't be worse than my day gig (missile tech on submarines) :D

and the service band thing is really another awesome gig any way you cut it, in my opinion...if you get stuck in a bad band, the tards will either transfer or you will. not a bad deal, rotating, unless you're going from a great band to a crappy one.

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    IME, I do understand what you feel... :rolleyes:

Maybe you'll feel a bit less lonely from now :D ...

Well, in fact I'm just joking. I also played bass on records where music was not interesting at all.

But what I can say is that the only people who tried to laugh at me because of these experiences, were people who did nothing professional in their musical lives. So when they laughed at me saying "hey, so you played with that sucker ?", I just replied : "yes, but at least I was paid for that".

There is no experience I had that makes me feel ashamed. Sure, there are things I did not like, musically speaking. But nothing to hide.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's probably fine if you don't mind spewing out of both ends simultaneously like some kind of broken fireplug. Read the news lately?

brad cook

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yah, I figured/ hoped they would have that sorted out before I did it which would 1.5 years from now. Of corse what kind of effect that will have on the buisness as whole we'll have to see.

AJ

20. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ..No one mentioned bass teaching, or making basses or even accessories (gig bags etc) :D

How about as a part of a TV show backing band, that looks pretty fun if you watch them, plus it's fame :)