Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Professional bass player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 19, 2004.

1. Yes, thank God I am...

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  2. Yes, but I wish I had a daytime job...

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  3. No, but I'm working hard to become one...

45 vote(s)
    54.2%
  4. No, and I like it as it is...

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  5. 50/50

7 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. I was wondering how many of you are professional bass players, in this case meaning it pays the bills. :bassist: ..

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Where's the 50/50 option. I work part-time and gig the rest of the time. Each brings in a similar amount of money.

3. Oops, didn't think of that possibility. :p

Is it possible to change a poll? :confused:

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Same deal as Pete. Actually I'd say it's currently about 60/40 with the latter being my bass earnings. Can't quite cut the bills on my bass playing alone, but getting closer every day. And I'm very happy about that.

Where's the 60/40 option?

5. Yeah, but where does it end? From 1/99 to 99/1 ? :D

6. All I want in live is to be able to do what I love. Playing bass. And Drums on the side.

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Will play for food.....

8. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yes, I'll be fixing my pack of Ramen today...... :oops:

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You can afford Ramen? Do you play for Britney Spears or something???

Man, I can only dream. Ramen.....

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jazz - Sometimes I've even fantasized about dicing up some of the Ph.D.'s I used to work with and adding them to the Ramen!!!

12. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    After almost 30 years of playing I am happily playing out once a month for the fun of it and a little extra cash.

With a full time job as a Network Admin and also a full time job as an artist and three kids who are involved in everything...that's about all I can handle.

But it's great for me...I can still get out and enjoy playing music without the hassles and pressures of it being a job. Been there, done that. :)

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Beef, chicken, shrimp, snooty academic.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Gigging is always great extra income, and a great time. It helps with the bills, but doesn't cover them. If gigging could ever pay the bills comfortably, I'd put the day career on hold and pursue my love of music. Not going to throw the baby out with the bath water, though, especially at age 35 . . .

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm a part time pro. I make enough in a month to pay my mortgage but mostly I use it to pay everything else(Telephone, Cable, Internet, Water, Trash). My day job pays the mortgage.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I've played bass for over 20 years.
    I a 50/50 guy.
    I play out 2-4 times a week.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been a pro for 16 or 17 years. I'm at a point where I can take only the jobs I want to do. Life is good.

18. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

I'll second that. Been there done that.

19. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I work a nine to five.

Working hard to be one"
    Hmm, I like the security of a pay check every month. Also, if I turned pro it'd be a v long time before (if ever) I could be in the ideal situation pac's in. Good for you chap, sounds fantastic! :)

That said, I'm in a number of bands that are successful on a different levels. I get to play some decent gigs, with all sorts of bands, different styles of music and I meet some cool people. I have fun doing what I do.

My aim over the next few years is to get a mortage sorted (need the earnings to borrow sufficient amount), then go part-time in the office and start working harder on my playing.

I dont think I'll ever turn pro full time unless one of my bands gets a major signing.. which really aint gonna happen!

20. missy51633

missy51633

Oct 20, 2003
    vincennes
    :bassist: i pay all my bills,with it so its all i want to do anyway and i play every night of the week and week-ends even at church.i love bass and like to sing but ,i dont think i'm very good at it,tho people say i do good,i worry a lot about not being perfect but we can't all be perfect and if i'm not a professional i don't know what i'd classify as,i've played 13 years and with some pretty high groups .not to name any names,but hope you guys keep up the good work here cause i am learning more and more, from all the work you all do it over whelms me so a great big thanks to everybody for just being here for me and others like me

missy51633