Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

professional bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliffdanzig, Jul 11, 2001.

1. cliffdanzig

cliffdanzig

Jul 11, 2001
    hey what would be a good bass to buy for a guy who is in a band that is going professional, i was thinking warwick, carvin, conklin or a custom made bass to meet my specifications
    thanks
    later

2. If it feels good and sounds good, buy it! This kind of thing is too subjective to really get good advice on.

That being said, go for a custom Hanewinckel! :) ( http://www.hanewinckelguitars.com/ )

Warwicks are also good. They're solid as a rock. I haven't played a Carvin in a really long time but I hear they are good instruments. Conklins are good but their 7-string just didn't feel right for me.

- Dave

3. Congrats on going pro. Try a G&L L2000 or L2500.

4. Kip Martin

Kip Martin

Feb 28, 2001
    California
    Try as many basses as you can......and then decide.It's your sound and I think we all need to sound as much like "us" as we can not like the crowd of John doe guys with p-basses or warwicks.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're going to tour, an American Fender Jazz or Precision is your ace in the hole, (or one of their Custom Shop jobs for some audience appeal).

When I used to tour from sea to shining sea, I don't think there was ever a town where there wasn't someone around who wasn't a Fender authorized repair center or, at least, the local techs were all very familiar with Fender and had parts on hand.

I still take mine when playing out of town. It's the best insurance I have.

Once you have one of those to rely on, you can venture on to the more exotic stuff that makes a lot of repair people scratch their heads.

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Get one that you can easily pawn, because one day you'll need to eat or pay rent.

Just kidding, good luck with the band.

7. make sure you have a decent amp, something thats suitable for on the road, what are you using at the moment?

theres no point having a beautiful cutom made bass, with loads of bells and whistles when your running it through a crappy rig

they won't care what you look like if your sound's duff

anyway, be a real bassist and keep out of the spotlight :)

8. These are all great suggestions. I would add to consider a Zon or Modulus. The graphite neck is less likely to go out of alignment due to heat/humidity changes.

Also, think about a Sadowsky. Outstanding instrument, IMHO.

Most importantly, get the one you love the most!

Good luck!
    Jeff

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    what kind of music do you Cats play? I would say a lot of basses.. Fender Jazz Deluxe. Peavey mellinnium plus. Peavey Cirrus. an F bass, F4 or 5 modulus bass, STINGRAY5(my personal fav. hehe), warwick, carvin, anything man, shoot its your bass... you are the one who needs to fall in love with it not me. on that note, go with the stingray.. hehe just kidding

10. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've never been on a tour, but i couldn't agree with you more. :) :) :)

11. I'm gonna agree with the Fender comment, EVERYONE and their mother is a Authorized Fender Repair... which will come in handy if your on the road.

12. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hey rick, would be selling that pre-cbs precision?!! I have $5. :D :D :D

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Insurance is never a bad thing. I'm curious, though, rick: have you ever had anything go wrong that couldn't be repaired with generic parts? I mean, what would happen that you'd need access to specifically Fender parts for? I've taken my Carvins all over the US and to Europe, and I can't imagine a situation where I'd need access to specifically Carvin parts if an urgent repair had to be done. (Urgent as in, the bass won't work if I don't get this fixed.) It's not really like cars or TVs. Pots, switches, wires, battery holders, jacks ... these things are all pretty generic and easy to get. Even with, say, sophisticated active electronics, if your PC board went up in flames, any good tech could still rewire the bass to run with passive controls if necessary.

I always take a 2nd bass except when it's impossible, but I honestly can't see any particular reason why that 2nd bass should be a Fender as opposed to anything else.

Not trying to tweak you, man, it's just that I had visions of all these folks thinking, dang, now I gotta go buy a Fender too??!! When IMO that isn't really necessary if you already have a backup.

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    an L-2000 or L-2500 would do the trick for sure most of my friends who are "pro" includeing myself enjoy the bass, the sound is awesome

15. rickbass

Tracy - I've even seen the Fender choice published in articles about "essential basses" or articles to the effect of, "three basses that will get you through any situation." I think the other two were a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 and a Stingray.

16. rickbass

Too many memories.

I actually won it in a card game from a country/western bassist who was in Porter Wagner's band at the time, at about 5a.m. when he who didn't know when to quit and ran out of money. He owed me a little over $500. There weren't any ATM's for him to go to back then :D

Besides, when Japan's economy rebounds, who knows how crazy it'll get again over there......."$22,000, going once, twice, sold to the CEO of Hyundai Motors!" :D

17. rickbass

Richard - We were doing the Who-inspired "smash your gear" at the end of some shows. The roadie can only carry so many parts and we all know how rock drummers are about parts. Back the, late `70's there really weren't any generic parts and there was no web, obviously, to go shopping across the country and get something Fed-Ex'd.

Moreover, unless your repairs are done by the authorized tech, Fender will tell you, "We can't do anything for you since you had it repaired at Roy and Marjean's Electrical Barn."

You're not tweaking me at all. I know you're too intelligent for that. No one should have to feel that you haven't made a smart choice if they don't have a Fender. But, on the road you can't beat `em, IMO. Ever wonder why all these bassists you see on TV and doing heavy touring use them when you know they could afford to be out there with an Alembic? Fender was just the template for all subsequent designs, so, many people without Fender training can understand them.

Not so to get my Carvin re-wired. This guy is THE tech in town and he needed me to get a schematic.

18. cliffdanzig

cliffdanzig

Jul 11, 2001
    hey thanks for the help but yeah i shoulda gave more info well i play mostly rock and metal but i add my own blend of blues and harmonics and it works out great but yeah we are a band that loves playing live so we will be doing a lot of touring so i need equipment that is durable and that will fit my specifications anyway i know that its more of my choice im just trying to get a better view on things
    later
    thanks again

19. IMHO,

Going professional? If you have a day job, I hope you don't like sleep.

Warwicks are pretty good, but these days you're paying more for the name than for sound/construction - they're just not the same as they used to be.

Upper-end Peaveys are great (Cirrus and Millenium). You'll see lots of snob factor in other folks, but they'll shut up once the hear you.

If you've got a little cash, try Lakland. It's one of the more well-thought-out basses I've ever seen, and the sound is truly awesome.

Rick is right - having a Fender when on the road cannot be bad.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland 55-94.