Professional gear only.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Anyone know exactly what the phrase "professional gear only" means? I just saw it in a musician wanted ad. Is this a little arrogant? Have any of you ever been "offended" by the gear someone else was using -- like it wasn't good enough or something? How did you handle it? How would you handle it if you were at a gig or a tryout and someone told you that your gear was sub-par (this has happened to me)?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Pro Gear Only" is just a way to weed out the posers. If the ad just said, "Must have own gear," they might get every Ryknow-wannabe with a used Gorilla amp and pawn shop bass with duct tape pickup covers.

Decent and good players always seem to have gear that is reliable, sounds good, and can produce the necessary volume levels. Or, they can get it. Their gear doesn't have to exceptional or expensive, just passable. Pastorius played a "Chevy," a mid-range bass, and nobody dissed him.

Who wants to pay a the cost of admission or set up an audition and find out the musician(s) has gear that was designed to be played in a bedroom?
    It's a waste of everyones' time.

I used to have some of my ego dependent on my gear years ago. But, the people you really want respect from will judge you by what comes out of your amp, not the name on it.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have no problem with "pro gear" mentioned in an ad. To me that just means gear ready to do gigs.

If the band is playing metal for example, then that calls for a loud amp stack, not a Peavey Microbass :)

Some tales from my own experience:

I was once in a rock band where the guitarist and organist had no amps! I used to loan them a Bassman head and two PA cabinets so we could do gigs.

I was also in a C&W band where the drummer owned not only the PA but also guitar and bass amps because the other guys in the band couldn't afford their own! Admittedly, one guy was so poor he was living in his pickup truck :eek:

I know a local blues guitarist with some serious lifestyle issues who hires his bands based on who has some equipment he can use on the gigs.

I've been on shows with multiple bands where one band will show up with no gear expecting to be able to use what's already there.
  4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    My old reggae band briefly had a guitarist who could play pretty well, but he had some major gear problems. His guitar was missing part of the nut under the low E-string, so he had a matchbook cover jammed in there. Also it hummed horribly. His amp was a Peavey Basic 50 bass amp that had a fist-sized hole in the speaker cone.

Needless to say, we had to let him go after a few weeks of this. We told him he needed new gear, but he couldn't afford to get it.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That's what I think too. :)

I actually would prefer ads like that because it likely means that they have good gear/pro attitudes also.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    either that, or they like to borrow it :D
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    :eek: There is that kind too!

But no one's getting their grubby mitts on my gorilla bass amp 30 and JC Penny brand 4 string bass with HIPSHOT!
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    The bassist's gear determines the success of everyone's gig. I wouldn't tolerate a drummer or guitarist with beginner-level gear that couldn't perform reliably or up to sonic standards. That's the bottom line.

In many cases, it's also an indicator of the level of committment of the player.
  9. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Not only that, but it shows how much someone is willing to sacrifice also. If someone comes up in a crappy old 1978 Ford truck and unloads some seriously nice stuff out of it, you know where his priorities are.

Personally, I have been shoving my 8x10 cab, amp, basses, guitar, effects, etc. into the front of a Honda Civic becaue Hondas are cheap. Doesn't leave much room to breathe, but I get to where I need to be, and I have nice equipment.
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That reminds me of my dad, but he has a 1980 econoline van with holes!!! ha!!! He has it filled with PA equipment, and some great guitars/amps.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    pro gear means just that....professional quality/sounding gear