Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Professional set-up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brock385, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    I just got a Fender Jazz from a UPS guy today...:D
    It was from Musician's Friend, so it's new. I know I should take it to the guitar store for them to set it up and everything, but when my dad called them, they said it would be around $30 for each hour they spend on it.
    Does this price sound OK?
    How long does a setup usually take?
    What will they do besides the obvious? (truss rod, action, etc.)
    Can any of this be done by me, sucessfully?

[Edited by Brock385 on 11-11-2000 at 04:48 PM]

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    A setup is a very ordinary task -- especially for a Fender, which is like a world standard -- and the job should be a fixed price, not an hourly charge. Tell the tech it's a brand new Fender Jazz and ask if they'll give you a firm price. If they still woun't, I'd consider going to a different guitar tech -- this one sounds dicey.

3. i agree with Eli, you want to find a good tech and one that you trust enough to go back to, i call a guy down the street from me bring my bass to him and if its something quick like a truss rod tweak he whips out his wrench and i am back out the door in ten minutes, and because i always get advice and strings from him he never charges me for the quick jobs

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Brock, you might want to just use it ,provided it's playable, for a few days to give everything a chance to settle in. A few days of playing it and you'll have a better idea of what adjustments are needed. Most basses that are bought thru mailorder are useable, if not perfect, right out of the box.

A lot of stores seem to resent a customer buying mailorder and then wanting the store to do the set-up. I agree that set-up on a new instrument should be priced on a flat rate basis. If a new bass can't be set up in an hour or less, there is a problem either with the bass or the luthier. It really ain't rocket science.

In the meantime, learn all that you can about set up. You will eventually want to learn to do it yourself.

Congrats on the new bass. I hope you enjoy it for many years.

Pkr2

5. Brock385

Brock385

Nov 5, 2000
    Well I have a good idea of how to adjust the truss rod, I just want to see someone do it first. I don't want to screw the bass up..$300 is alot to me!
    But I'm probably not going to get it setup. Because as you said, the sound has changed a little over the past couple days. It sounds better and the action wasn't that bad either. You guys are geniuses! :D

6. Babs

Babs

May 5, 2000
    Sandy Utah
    Usually if you buy it from an independent retailer. (Which should be cheaper that MF) they should do a set up on it free of charge, but I would also recomend letting it climatize for a couple of months. IF you take it in right away to get it adjusted, in two or three months when it has climatized it will need more adjusting. But if the neck is bent so that the strings buzz all over the place then you should take it in right away, obviously.

7. When I got my first bass (Fender standard jazz) I had the same situation with set up. I bought it out of town and the local Fender shop was pissy because I didn't buy it from them. They also told me $30 and I would have to leave it with them for several days.
    I read everything I could find on set up right here on this bulletin board, asked a load of questions, looked at the Fender bulletin board and went for it. I have found that a new bass needs many small ajustments over the first few months until things settle down. It doesn't seem practical to me to take it to a shop every time. If you live in a cold climate, just taking it out into the winter cold will wack it so far out of shape that whatever the shop does may not even last till you get back home. Truss rod ajustments, saddle height, intonantion and tuning are all very simple things and I can't imagine having somebody else do them for me. I say go for it.