Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prog Rock?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tbone0813, Feb 6, 2006.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Excuse my stupidity, but........Can anyone give me a clear definition of Prog Rock? I have heard people classify Rush as prog rock, and Dream Theatre as prog rock, but neither bands sound alike. Thanks in advance.

Also a list of other prog rock bands might be useful.

2. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    Prog Rock means that you and your bandmates wear medallions, robes, and pose in fields for album covers.

It can also mean that you can wank off on your instrument and impress no one but other musicians.

3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Methinks Dream Theatre is prog metal.
    erm i think progressive is just a general title people chuck various bands under because they are *slightly* similar. And then they can be all smug about the fact that they just created a genre

anyway to be of more help:

Id say that Opeth is prog rock/metal.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    It's a pretty loose and pretty vague classification, but I would say that prog rock (or really, just progressive music in general) has an emphasis on technicality and musicianship. Not that non-progressive music isn't technical, but progressive music IMO goes a lot further towards being complex writing, which includes changes in time signatures and keys, more soloing by several different musicians (not just typical lead guitar wailing), and more difficult instrumentation. This, of course, is open to varying degrees of interpretation, and it's not hard and fast, but most bands that I've heard referred to as progressive have all of these elements.

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Enjoy.

6. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    actually progressif doesn't mean technical...
    it means going somewhere nobody has gone before...
    Like Metallica did, or Zeppelin...

But I know that nowadays it's often used for technical bands...

Whatever I say :)

7. I would agree with that.

Prog is short for "progressive" (forward moving, promoting change and innovation)....but of course as time goes by words change their meaning. Bad=bad, then Bad=good, now=who says "bad". Prog now means more technically complex and difficult meters and harmonies etc and usually on th heavier side (there's not a whole lot of "Prog Folk" out there...there's some, but not much :)), not necessarily "progressive", not that some of the prog bands aren't "progressive."

Floyd was very progressive for their time, the Beatles too....and Elvis...and Miles Davis...and W.A. Mozart

kinda like the average "liberal" in America, does not have a clue about what liberty means. :bag: :ninja:

and the average "conservative" know nothing about conservation :bag: :ninja: