Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Program for removing voices from songs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm looking for a free program to remove the voices from songs, so I can play with them and make lame little remixes, please help.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    There isn´t a program in the world that can do that.

You need access to the original recording with all the tracks and turn down the vocals there.

3. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I haven't tried it yet, but.... I ran across a program called "Vocal Remover" from AnalogX. Here's an excerpt of the description...

" So you want to impress your friends with your singing skill, but they only like to listen to those boring old top-40 songs; and that brand new Karaoke machine you just bought is broken. What can you do? Is everything lost? NO! Don't do anything drastic! There's still hope - Introducing AnalogX Vocal Remover!"

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

AGAIN, I have not tried, nor am I recommending this program. If you try it and it works, let us know!

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Tried it.... doesn't seem to do anything so far.....

I mean, when you look at it, this is how a stereo sound file looks like:
    [​IMG]

If you want to remove the vocals only, the program then has to remove or phase out some frequencies in order to get rid of the vocals. I think it goes without saying that alot more then the vocals will be lost doing this.

So in order to rephrase my answer here above, there isn't a program in the world which does this well.

5. They make vocal removers (like AnalogX's one), but all they do is figure out what sounds is in common between the left and right channel and cancel that out. Basically they assume that the vocals are mixed in the very center. It works on some songs, and not on other songs. A lot of times you are left with quiet, echoey vocals (due to the stereo reverb effect on the vocal track). It really will never work perfectly.

What you can always do is get a hold of the "accapella" of that particular song and then line it up with the song and flip the waveform to cancel out the vocals. That could work well if you do it right, at least better than the traditional vocal remover programs. Or you could just get a hold of the original tracks, though I have no idea how you'd manage that, and I'd rather not know.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cool way that *might* work.
    Since, usually, vocals are on the center channel (i.e. playing on both the L and R channels at the same time) and the instruments are on one or the other, here's something that you can try. Take the Red/Black wires on one of your speakers, and reverse them. Then, set the speakers near each other. What migh happen (maybe 1 out of 10 times) is the frequencies on the center channel will be reverse of one another, hence cancelling out.
    That's about the best thing I can tell you to even try. As said before, though, (sans that) it's impossible to do without the original, pre-mix recordings.

-Ray

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    couldnt they make a program that reads an mp3 or whatever format, and is then able to break down each track somehow? finding the different codings and what not?

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I very much doubt that, since especially once things are at the MP3 stage, there's really nothing seperating the layers (instruments, vocals, etc). You'd really just need to get your hands on the originals tracks.

-Ray

9. Yeah, as soon as it is at "mixdown" stage, you can't separate the tracks.

I have messed around with some software a while ago, however, that would seperate the parts using EQ, phasing, and a bunch of stuff. You could say what you wanted to split out or solo, like bass, guitar, drums, vocals, etc. It did a suprisingly good job considering what a difficult task that is, but still not good enough.

What you can do is bring the MP3 up in a sound editor, select one of the channels and click the "invert" process. This flips the waveform upside-down. If you play it, it will sound kinda strange, because some sound from your speakers are canceling each other out (a cool effect, though, I put a little of that in a techno song I made once, which had amazing results in the loud car speakers :)). Then you use the "stereo to mono" converter. Depends on the song, but sometimes it works to take out vocals.

10. Once the tracks are mixed down to L and R channel, there's no way to get at or remove just one track. Information is subject to the same entropy laws of thermodynamics as everything else. You have as much chance of removing the milk from your coffee.

Randy