1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Program on computer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by saxnbass, Aug 30, 2007.

1. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Alright, I'm pretty sure I've heard of this before, I just don't know what it's called or any specific programs that do this. I'd like to know if there is a program that you can run you bass into your laptop via an Interface, into a program to give you effects, and then back out of an output on the interface and into your amp or the PA. So essentially, your laptop computer is your pedal board. Is there such thing? If there is, could you recommend me a few good ones? I use a Mac, by the way. Thanks

Edit: I'm looking at buying Propellerhead's Reason. Is there a way to set that up to do what I'm trying to do?

2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    If you don't yet have the USB interface you could get a Line 6 TonePort device that comes with a pretty powerful little software package that does that, and somehow with very little horsepower drawn from the CPU ~

however their charge for additional amp modeling and FX plugins is a bit silly, so I haven't considered it, but the unit itself (TonePort 2) was 200 bucks or so. I love that it has stereo VU meters - for a laptop there is an even smaller version, peace out --

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I have an Interface (M-Audio Firewire 410, to be specific).

4. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Native Instrument's Guitar Rig and IK Multimedia's Amplitube are two popular ones.

5. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Both work nicely with bass too I would assume?

6. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    Ive been playing around with Guitar Rig 2, through my comp into my stereo, as a dorm room rig, and it actually sounds great.

The beauty of it is you dont have to use the SVT clone as an amp, you can use anything, and send it through either Ampeg or SWR 4x10's and 1x15's. The changes you make to your sound all respond pretty close to how they would in real life, too.

The only thing its missing is a cool synth. But with combinations of the input follower and other pedals, you can get close to it anyway.

My $.02: If you can get the latency below 3 ms, its great to use. I just wouldnt use it on the road, too much to go wrong.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Reason has no audio inputs, so don't bother with that for this purpose. I personally wouldn't want to rely on a computer for effects because of latency. Unless you have a really fast computer and a killer interface, you're going to get enough latency to notice.

8. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    I dont know how true that is. Ive got a 2600+ AMD (running at a true 2.08 GHz, i believe), and only 440 something of ram (some has died and fried), and i can get to about 2 ms with the stock audio card. You just ahve to make sure you use the ASIO drivers.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Well good luck with any latency in a live performance setting. Personally that scares the bejeezus out of me.

10. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    I would never use the system live anyway, really. Too much that can go wrong.

If you WERE going, I would make it a dedicated system, and not install anything but barebones windows and GR2. The less you have robbing the system at any particular time the better off you'll be.

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    To use this system live would be accepting that there will be an inherent delay. The conversion from analog to digital to analog will take 2-200ms depending on how powerful your computer is.

Also, aside from a recording interface you will need a re-amp device from my understanding. You run a direct box into the recording interface, and run a playback channel into another directbox/re-amp box and into your amplifier. Its complicated, bulky hard to setup and generally not used in anything except the studio.

Hope this helps.

12. ...and do any of these programs have Mac versions?!?!

IME they're pretty cheesy sounds anyway, and there's nothing more frustrating than using "virtual knobs" with a mouse. NNGH!

13. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Pro Tools, Logic (of course), Cubase and Live are all available for OSX. It looks like Guitar Rig 2 also runs natively on Mac.

14. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    If your amp has an effects loop or if you use a seperate preamp/poweramp setup, you just need to use the laptop as though it were a line level processor (because it is). You only need a reamp box if you want to run a line out from your comp into the instrument in on the amp.