Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Program that will seperate the tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Anybody know a program that can seperate the tracks of a song, so I get the bass by itself, vocals by itself, guuitars by itself, drums by itself etc...

Thank You

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    No

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't think technology has reached that far.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are ways to do it but only partially, usually based on cancellation/extraction of the central signal.
    If you get lucky you usually can get at least clear lyrics and sometimes bass separate from the mix but still with some bleeding.
    I'm pretty sure it will be possible one day though.

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think that's the principle from which karaoke filters work.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Can you reconstruct a potato that's been mashed in a stew?

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Ronald Mc Donald does it with chicken so I guess it's possible.

8. Transcribe has been moderately successful at isolating bass tracks for me.

First do the bass isolate, then raise it an octave. Not too bad, but I didn't have as much success with guitar tracks.

Try the free 30 day trial, I bought the product after I tried it. Around $45.

I think the URL is www.sevenstrings.com

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can always write the producer of the music in question and request a CD with all the separate tracks. I'm sure they'll be happy to give it to you...
    :bag:

10. Can you reconstitute the vegetables used to make soup, based only on the soup itself? You could pick out all the carrots and then try to form them back into something that might resemble a carrot... But it wouldn't be a carrot.

NB. There are always carrots in soup.

11. Dugz Ink

Dugz Ink

Oct 23, 2005
    Actually, it's more like seperating eggs from a cake.

Because of the various effects that are typically applied to mixed tracks (reverb, stereo "enhancement", etc.), the process is even more complicated. Toss a distorted guitar into the mix, and you have a resulting waveform that's as thick as... well... cake dough.

that makes it very difficult to locate and seperate components.

If the bass is not panned (i.e. dead center in the mix, which is fairly common) then using the old left-channel reverse-phase then mix-to-mono trick will kill the bass, just like centered vocals.