Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Program to slow down MP3's?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 15, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Im i nthe need of a program, downloadable off the net, that can slow down song with out them sounding...fatter, heavier, i cant think of the word to describe it.

But there was a program that someone mentioned to me on here a while ago that did exactly that, it slowed the song down but kept the song in tact, like the band was playing it, just a hell of a lot slower.

can anyone help me out? :confused: JMX? im looking in your direction ;)

2. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Goldwave is a great freeware program that can do just that. It is also great for recording and editing sound files.

Goldwave

3. zon, I thought I was the only one who used goldwave. The cooleset program. Lots of features. Takes a little while to get used to. But once you know it your an addict.

You want to use the feature called time warp. It slows down the song without changing pitch. Very cool. Very very cool.

4. Bump!

Sweet program...I'll finally be able to figure stuff out that my pathetic ear couldn't handle at full speed, like that damn uber-cool riff in "December 1963" :cool: Thanks, Zon!

5. I just downloaded the program, and I used Time Warp, it slowed down, but isn't the same pitch. How do I get it to work?

6. You've gotta click the "Similarity" tab in the Time Warp window, then adjust the Speed bar to 0.5 or whatever (that's the lowest it goes, but you could presumably do it more than once if necessary). That should maintain the pitch; for some reason the same bar on the "Speed" tab doesn't do it. The quality isn't great, but it should make things easier to hear in most cases. Took me a few minutes to figure out the pitch changing too... the Help menu is your friend, trust me :)

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have it and was messing around with some flecktones tunes. Amazing all the stuff going on that you can't hear at speed.

What is this "Toll :$.26" crap... i thought it was free?

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The best tool for that is Ensoniq TimeFactory, but it is pricey.
    Steinberg licenced this algorithm for their Cubase SX and Nuendo programs.

I've never used Goldwave, but most audio editors, like Cool Edit, can do time-stretching.

9. Thanks! I'm one of those types of people who never see help when it's right there in front of their eyes.

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    It is basically saying how much you have used the program and it is trying to make you feel guilty and pay for the program to support the country.

There are actually some restrictions on the software. ie You can't have more than a certain Toll per session, but it isnt really a big deal.

And for the guy who mentioned that the pitch changes when he changed the length, what I do is Time Warp to stretch it out to a desird length and then I use Pitch to rais the pitch accordingly with the preserve length box checked. If you slow it down to half speed then you raise the pitch an octave.

I am sure that there is a better way to do this but I am stupid.

Also make sure that all of the options are selected to the highest level for best quality. It talks about it under the Help butten in each window.

11. See my previous post :) Not sure if it's better, but it is a one-step process. I doubt stupidity is involved, BTW; Time Warp's options are pretty obscure.