Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Programmable distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz that I like a lot. However, I'd like to be able to use several different distortion sounds without reaching down to twiddle knobs or having 5 BOF's each with a different setting (I guess that wouldn't be too bad though :D ). I know Tech 21 has a programmable preamp, but I'm just looking for a few different distortion tones, plus I already have a preamp I like.

Any ideas?

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    well.. you could just buy a bunch of stompboxes you like..
    that could cost alot though.. there is a box ive heard about that its an effects loop or something. You can turn off certian pedals in your chain off from this one box. I cant think of the name of it. Ive seen it on musictoyz a few times i think.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think Boss has one.

Peace
    Nick

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Boss has one, as was said above. But if I were doing what your doing I'd get the Sansamp PSA-1. It is a preamp, but I hear it's great as a preamp and as a distortion unit. Aside from the Boss pedal I don't know anything that can do what you want that isn't a preamp.

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the biggets problem with most of the options were laying down though is that they arent octave effects as well.

I reallly cant think of much else.

Peace
    Nick

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  7. Somewhere out there in cyber-land is a copy of a GP article on adding "presets" to your standard stompbox. It had something to do with adding a few "banks" of trimpots. each corresponding to the knobs on your pedal. You would use another knob( or switch I suppose..) to flip between your groups of trimpots. Sounds cool.

8. Something that could probably be easily done with the Black Cat BOF would be to replace the two toggle switches with stomp switches and relocate them to a better place on the box, that's easier to hit with your foot. The only issue with that might be that, at least on my BOF (which, BTW, is an awesome pedal for bass, IMVHO), the volume is not the same for all of the switch settings.

I think there is also some ideas about adding presets to 'vintage' effects in one of Craig Anderton's books. Things like adding a second 'intensity' pot and using a 3PDT switch to switch between them.

~ Charlie
    http://users.rcn.com/cbarth/
    ~

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Doesn't line 6 make a distortion modeler?