Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Programmable Sansamp Bass Driver.... XLR out to tuner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am considering trying out one of Tech 21's Programmable Sansamp Bass Driver. The single switch model which I have used (I use these as preamps for my AI Focus SA poweramp) has a parallel out and that's where I used a 1/4 inch patch cable to my korg ga 30 tuner.

The programmable one doesnt have the parallel out. Could I use the xlr out to connect my tuner?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Hmm...good question. You'll need a 1/4" to XLR connector, but I don't see why it couldn't work.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    yeah, I know I'll need a short 1/4 to xlr cable, but I am not sure if the signal is strong enough as I heard the xlr out is balanced.

4. balanced signal is stronger than unbalanced signal as far as I know? I could be wrong though?

5. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    Are you referring to the PSA 1.1? XLR out is switchable from -10 to 0. And you could use the effects loop send to the tuner.
    Link: http://www.tech21nyc.com/psa_1_1.html

edit- if you are buying the discontinued PSA 1 here is a quote:
    "Other features include an effects loop, and dual 1/4” and XLR outputs for stereo processing. Either pair can be set at line or instrument level, and can be used simultaneously."

6. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    This one:
    [​IMG]
    I am pretty sure unbalanced is a hotter signal. Just need to know if the xlr out is hot enough to drive a small tuner.

7. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Oh yeah. Any signal at all will drive it. My acoustic g**tar has extremly low output piezo, but will tune off that.