Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 3, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was wonder if anyone here does any programming. Also what would I need to start doing it? My band does some covers that originally have samples/pads in them, and I think that adding those samples would really make them sound great (we try to cover things as closely as possible, all the way from harmonies to guitar tone).

I have a mid-level Yamaha keyboard (I'm a classically trained pianist). Would I need any software? Do I need to trigger stuff with drums? How do I make sure that I have the tempo of the sample insync with the live music?

Sorry if I sound clueless about this, but I am pretty ignorant on the subject. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as resources go, it would be much appreciated.
  2. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    There are so many ways to handle this that, as you learn about your options, you may find you want to do more than just what you ask about. (so in other words, this post will be very incomplete).

Get some mags like "Electronic Musician", "Keyboard", "Future Music", "Computer Music" and read about the technology available, or go to the websites. Talk to DJ's about this stuff too. Engineers in pro recording studios could be a help.

One answer that might work would be to get a laptop (anthing reasonably current with lots of RAM) and some sampling software (check out MOTU's Mach 5). The sounds could be triggered via keyboard.

The learning curve on most of this stuff is not a problem at all.

Good luck.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

Thank you for the reply. Maybe I should hit up an electronic music messageboard.