Progress on the new bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Dec 13, 2001.

1. I've been designing this little beast for some months now. All the main bits are in the chassis and all work. In fact it all worked first time without anything bursting into flames:confused: :D

Anyway, there's space above the bottom board for the second power amp, as and when I get round to building it. That'll make a kind of chimney for heat transfer. I've decided on a stereo pair rather than a bridge.

As photographed she'll run 200Watts RMS continuous (for hours on end) and is quite happy at 275Watts RMS for short periods (about 5 minutes).

There'll be no preamp as such, just the power side in this box.

It's brutish heavy, though :p

2. That's really cool, looks good! Did you design it from scratch? I'm considering doing a similar project, maybe a preamp, over the winter. I haven't had time to do anything recently, as the Engineering program is a cruel mistress:D but I'm on a 4 month work term now, woohoo!
  3. Yep. From scratch. But the power amp is just the regular bipolar circuit with some adjusting of component types to suit me. I produced the PCB myself. All the other parts are either ex-equipment or came from hobbiest sales / fairs, etc. That's why it's a bit big, really. You wouldn't design for those sizes these days. But for next to no £££, can't be bad, eh?