Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Progress Pics Of My Baby

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gard, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, as per my earlier post in another thread, my personal baby is taking her first steps today, here are pics of the top and back, just before gluing them up:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool, what's the top wood?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Quilted Bubinga with sapwood.

:cool:

And of course, swamp ash for the back...because there's nothing better than a good piece of ash...

:hyper:

4. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Hmm, even bookmatching the body wood are we? Very Nice :hyper:
    What's the fret board going to be? And are you going to have the wedge neck?

5. Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh Gard....!!!! You get outta town wit' dat bass!! This is going to be good!!

Can't imagine what that quilted bubinga is going to look like! And of course, I'm very interested in how that ash is going to look like.... ;)

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Actually, we try to bookmatch the body wood on most of our basses.

The fretboard will be Bird's Eye Maple Diamondwood with the "sidelines", and as the model is the Century Signature, it will have the wedge neck...however, I have "taken advantage of my position", and will have one of the only two ever wedge necks which are Wenge/Purpleheart/Maple/Purpleheart/Wenge!!!

:hyper:

7. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Dude... you know I have Roscoe GAS right now. Why would you toruture me like this?? You cruel monster!!!

...subscribes to thread for future progress pics...

:bag:

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

...consider it retribution for the "cream filled" comment in the other thread!

:spit:

;)

I'll be posting pics approximately weekly, so y'all can see the general "how it happens" shots of the entire process....

...oh, and one other addition, I am also getting the optional "wide" spacing (19mm between the strings, at the bridge)...

9. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Touché!

Dang, I didn't know that was an option!

10. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    That is some great looking Bubinga!
    Oh, and nice ASH, too :)

11. Wow, what woods here!! very beautiful, as a ash freaky congrats!:D
    Roscoe SKB 5?

Vince

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Very cool. The 18mm spacing on my 6 is one of the only things I don't like about it. I wish Keith would make more basses with the "full" spacing. I feel the same way about Mike Tobias's basses as well.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Cliff, yeah, Keith had to tell me to "be patient" several times while he was waiting for that particular piece of bubinga to arrive...I'm glad I listened to him! :D And yeah...that is a pretty nice piece of ash...but you should see the one I just sent a photo of to Basso Gruvitas....I'm sure John will be posting it soon, but I don't wanna steal his thunder! ;)

Vince, I'm getting a Century Signature VI, fretless.

Em, the 19mm - 3/4" spacing has always been an option for us, but no one ever asks for it! :confused: We even once made a 7 string LG like that (NO, don't ever ask us to again, we won't!!!! :spit: )...it is an additional cost however...

14. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Gard,
    That top is awesome! Looks like your patience paid off big time!

Shawn

15. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'd imagine that a 7string and 19mm spacing isn't necessarily a good idea.........

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA

On an LG body!!!! :eek:

...man, that was a headstock divin' nightmare...looked kinda...well....odd....as well... :eyebrow:

However, it actually played and sounded incredible!!!! :bassist:

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That's cause it's a Roscoe! :bassist:

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Got to love the Ash and if it is from the swamp even better :hyper: . Very Cool Gard , whats your build time?.

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Wait a minute, wait a minute....I thought that I had dibbs on that top?!?! :eyebrow: Oh well...looks like you're gonna' have to send that one to Chicago and start the waiting process ALL OVER AGAIN! :D

;)

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Ash and Bubinga... Wow. I'm so surprised. :rolleyes:

That's a hell of a Bubinga! So you are going for the 6 string.

Actually with my small hands I like the closer spacing. Even with the small amount of slapping I do. It's taking more effort to get used to it for slap, but I prefer it now.

The Birdseye maple fretboard will contrast nicely with the Bubinga.