Progress pics of my custom fretless 4!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MaskedJackal, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Today I, with the help of my mentor Keith, installed Straplocks and up is an EMG-MMTW MM-style pickup and a Kahler six-way adjustable fixed bridge. And then, taking them all off and finishing the thing. Today's additions are minor, but I haven't posted the project on TB yet. The neck is a Carvin NT4 fretless and is hardrock maple/ebony while the wings are local alder. Chegggit out:

Yours truly checking out how the Gotohs fit:

And now, in the Nino Valenti tradition....

I'd love hear you guys' thoughts on the shape, etc. And by the way- NO NECKDIVE AT ALL! YAY! :D:hyper:
  2. Much thanks! I was worried the bottom was too bulbous. Not so, I guess! :)
  3. i dunno, it is a little bulbous, but with those wings, it just fits :)
  4. King V

King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I really dig the body shape. It'd be super slick with nice contours around the edges. When ya gonna build me one? :smug:
  5. Thanks!

...As soon as I pay my parents off for their kind funding of my project this summer :smug:. No, I'm definitely kidding, but feel free to totally rip off my design if you ever want a custom beyond your Stambaughs! :D
  6. I must respectfully say that. . . . . . . I . . . :oops: . . . really don't like it.:bag:

But, I don't like most of the Ritter basses either, so probably explains it. :meh:
  7. just a question, but have you made other basses before?
  8. No, definitely not. But this is a learning experience as well as a HUGE senior project for school, and I'm stoked. Although both my mentors have never built a bass, one is a luthier of sorts who builds guitars entirely by hand.

I don't expect perfection, but I'm stoked on having a bass I can say I had a hand in custom building, and that's what matters most to me. It's a meaninful, functional possession I can use for the rest of my life.

Plus, with the EMG I'm putting in it...I think it'll sound pretty good.
  9. Well hey, to each his own.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    And yours to yourself, IMHO. Meaning that I have to agree with Dave.