Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Progress Pics Of My Hill Custom Fretless Sixer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I took some shots while I was down at Jon Hill's shop today, and my bass is coming along. It should be all glued up and the neck should begin to be carved by next Friday.

The front:
    [​IMG]

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Back made of flamed walnut:
    [​IMG]

3. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  5. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    Is that Hill Giotars in Cleveland? If so, do you know what their web address is. A friend of mine had one a few years ago. It was lovely. I wouldn't mind checking out what they are doing now. B Easy

Myron Bennell Carroll

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yup, right here in Cleveland. The web address is http://www.hillguitars.com , although it hasn't been fully updated in a while (although it has been updated since May, even though the "Last Updated" date says that).

7. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    A friend of mine had one a while ago. It was very nice. I think he went for the Tobias vibe with it. At least that is what it reminded me of. BTW, what are the specs for your bass?

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    My specs are:
    Six-string fretless
    34" scale 24 frets
    Curly fiddleback buckeye top, flamed walnut back
    Six-piece wenge, purpleheart, and paduak neck,
    separated by maple veneers
    Ebony fretboard
    Bartolini A.P 5.2 preamp with Bart soapbars
    Black hardware
    ABM bridge
    Red LED side markers
    Maple and purpleheart fretlines

9. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    That sounds like it will be cool indeed. I look forward to more progress photos. Can't wait to see how that turns out. B Easy

Myron Bennell Carroll

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    One last on of the top. The outline in black is the one we're using:
    [​IMG]

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I love this fiddle back buckeye.
    The bass I'm building with te fiddleback buckeye top (see avatar) is even prettier when wet with naphta or finish!!

This is gonna be a great bass Bryan!

Peace, JP

12. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Bryan R. Tyler,

That is gonna be a hip bass... love the woods! I've never heard of 'fiddle back maple'... nice figure! Can wait to see how it develops.

Myron!!! Is that you? About 2 years ago we were at a jam session at Ben Taylor's with 4 bassists (You, Jimmy Foster, Robbie Geisler and I), a mandolin player, guitarist and Ben on drums... Sound familiar? Drop me a PM stranger...

13. Love that top! Can't wait to see it finished.

Keep the pics coming!

14. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm very interested in seeing how Marcos' bass turns out myself-they'll be overseas brothers ;)

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    About two weeks from being done. Here are some new pics:
    [​IMG]

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut