Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Progress Pics Of Spiderman's ProtoBass2!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, May 26, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    A couple weeks ago i posted pics of a singlecut Fretless 5 I built and thought I would post a few in progress pics of my new design.

The body has a 1/2inch core of mahogany with a 1/2"walnut back and another 1/2" walnut for the top. I basically used the mahogany for visual contrast and wanted the tone to come from the walnut, my favorite tone wood. There is an acoustic chamber used mostly to make for a lighter bass. The body is mostly done I just need to do a little carving and of course the final sanding. The control plate is also walnut and I used brass insert screws.. Don't mind the screws in the pics as I just used them to hold the plate down for shaping, they won't be on the finished bass.

I will start building the neck in a few days. I haven't decided whether this will be a fretless or fretted. If it's fretted it will have a maple fingerboard. If fretless, it will have a pau ferro board with lines.

Also, don't mind the full pic with the neck and bridge. The neck is just a template and I know they are laying on the body a little off center. Let me know what you think, good and bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks very cool man..for bass #2 it looks like you are doing a very fine job. It will be real cool to see how your work progresses.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    thanks, Jared. i must say, I'm really enjoying it. I like figuring out how to do things. With no prior woodworking experience and training, there's much to be figured out;)

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Very nice!

5. That is a gorgeous bass!!! Me want, me want!

Is it gonna be fretted or fretless?

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thank you for your comments. I think this one will likely be fretless as I play way more fretless than fretted these days.

7. that looks great man, reminds me a lot of a carl thompson. excellent work considering its youre second project with no prior experience. keep it up!