1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Progress Pics Of Spiderman's ProtoBass2!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Parker, May 26, 2003.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    A couple weeks ago i posted pics of a singlecut Fretless 5 I built and thought I would post a few in progress pics of my new design.

The body has a 1/2inch core of mahogany with a 1/2"walnut back and another 1/2" walnut for the top. I basically used the mahogany for visual contrast and wanted the tone to come from the walnut, my favorite tone wood. There is an acoustic chamber used mostly to make for a lighter bass. The body is mostly done I just need to do a little carving and of course the final sanding. The control plate is also walnut and I used brass insert screws.. Don't mind the screws in the pics as I just used them to hold the plate down for shaping, they won't be on the finished bass.

I will start building the neck in a few days. I haven't decided whether this will be a fretless or fretted. If it's fretted it will have a maple fingerboard. If fretless, it will have a pau ferro board with lines.

Also, don't mind the full pic with the neck and bridge. The neck is just a template and I know they are laying on the body a little off center. Let me know what you think, good and bad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Looks very cool man..for bass #2 it looks like you are doing a very fine job. It will be real cool to see how your work progresses.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    thanks, Jared. i must say, I'm really enjoying it. I like figuring out how to do things. With no prior woodworking experience and training, there's much to be figured out;)

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Very nice!

5. That is a gorgeous bass!!! Me want, me want!

Is it gonna be fretted or fretless?

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    Thank you for your comments. I think this one will likely be fretless as I play way more fretless than fretted these days.

7. that looks great man, reminds me a lot of a carl thompson. excellent work considering its youre second project with no prior experience. keep it up!