Progress pictures of my first

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Tommy Gunz, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Here's a link to the pictures.

The bass is practically done except for the grounding problem in the wiring, which I'll try to fix again today. Thanks for all the help in my other threads regarding tools and building questions.
  2. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Looking good! Keep posting pics! I also think it'd be cool if you'd craft a "what I learned from buiding my first bass" post. Those are always very informative.
  3. Cool bass - sorta reminiscent of the Ibanez Musician series from the late 70's early 80's. One of my favorites!

Make more!!!
  4. Thats so awsome man, great job on that! You should go into some detail on how you did all that- More pictures if you have of the construction of that bass, I'd be really interested to see more.
  5. Yeah, I didn't really do a good job of taking more detail pictures along the way. May be next time ;)

I did learn a lot from this first time experience. Here's a few things that I think I'll do differently for the next project.

1. Route all the pockets and cavities on the blank first before cutting out the body shape and any carving. A lot of time I'd run out of flat surface for the router and the jig to sit on, or to clamp down the piece properly at the location where I wanted.

2. Make a thicker control cavity cover. The one that I've made is only 1/8" thick and I could use some more wood after the countersinks for the screws were drilled. Also, spend more time on making better jig so the shape of the cover and the cavity will match up tigher. This one is juuust a bit off in a certain part of the curve.

3. Drill the countersink first before caving the chamfer at the heel. I had a hard time trying to line up the drill bit because the surface was no longer flat. I should have thought of that first but I was too excited to start carving the heel.

4. Use an angle grinder to do most of the work at the belly carve. Someone mentioned it here before but only after I had mine done. Drawn knife and spoke shave just take too long and a bit hard to keep the plane of curvature consistent, at least it is for a first timer like myself.

5. Make my own neck, instead of buying blanks from Cavin. :p
  6. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    Is that your first bass and how much wood experience do you have. Thats looks great.
  7. Thanks
    Yeah, it is my first one. Prior to this I have virtually no practical wood working experience at all. But I'm not totally unfamiliar with the use of tools and wood crafting in general because I watch a lof of Norm Abram's show, either when he's on 'This old house' or his own show 'The New Yankee Workshop'. The specific bass building stuff I learn either from the book 'make your own guitar & bass', this place, or over at H-C bass forum.

To be honest, there are A LOT of mistakes on the bass, is just that the pictures didn't show that much and I play with the angle a bit when I snapped the pictures, that's all. :D
  8. mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    You did a great job for your first time out! Congratulations! I learned a lot from Norm before I ever picked up a saw, too.

Good hiding! :) Really, it's all about learning. Every piece you build, you'll get better - better at building, and better at correcting mistakes. It's part of the challenge.
  9. bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    well my how to make guitar and bass bookS should be here by tommorow (day 5 of 3-5 business days. Seeing that gives me a little more confidence.

It occurred to me the only i as going to get a quality custom bass with a batwing headstock was to make it myself.
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hm, you chamfered the heel all the way to the bottom of the neck pocket, and made it quite thin at the top.
    You should have some serious thump out of this piece!

Nice work! And some really nice saves, too;) (thinking of the "mistakes" you mentioned earlier)
  11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, man, great bass. next time i come up to toronto you are going to have to let me check it out :).
  12. Final pictures of the completed bass. :)

13. Sweet bass!

...everybody seems to like the inward-curved hornes, I'm building one with similar shapes :)
  14. That looks amazing!!! I'm wanting to start making a bass of my own sometime soon hopefully, it'll be a long learning process no doubt, but should be fun hopefully. I'm sure it won't look anywhere near as good as that though, great work.

By the way, how does it play and sound?
  15. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Very nice! Very nice indeed.

I hope my first bass will look as good as yours does. You should be proud of yourself.
  16. Yep, I concur, an excellent piece of work - looks more like your 15th or 16th bass rather than your first.

Suburban touched on the subject but it bears repeating for others that are thinking about building for themselves. Success very often doesn't hinge on your design, your tools, or your desire. These are important but I think sometimes it's more important to be able to recover from mistakes and natural errors that occur during handbuilding. If you can make a royal screw-up and then hide it so that no one else will know - well, then you have what it takes. Sometimes more skill is required to fix things when they go bad than it took to do it right in the first place. And I think that homebuilding can teach a lot of lessons like this. We small builders are compelled to make things work because we don't have the deeper resources of things like another stack of wood to pick through when we destroy our first piece. That's not to say that the larger custom creators don't use this same approach. I just think that the experience of botch recovery can serve us very well as we get more experienced and get bigger piles of lumber waiting on us.
  17. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    that's pretty nice looking, Tom