1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Progress!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kinsman, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    I've played bass for...um...well, quite a few years. Only ever used chord charts. Never had read in bass clef.

I decided that I wanted to be able to read; started using online tools to learn notes and rhythm.

I've been working for the last day or so on an exercise with nine lines of music, low G to C on G string.

Today I played it by sight @70bpm. It's an easy piece, all quarter notes and no sharps or flats. And I am still making mistakes, but I know when I'm wrong.

I am making progress.

dinodino, LeeNunn, carl h. and 3 others like this.
  2. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Good for you. I'm trying to learn as well. Ive been using easy bass books at include notation .

The odd thing is, I struggled for a while with bass clef and then I tried to learn the treble too. Apparently getting familiar with the bass clef helped me catch on the treble quickly. Keep rocking.

3. The thing about reading SN is you have to do some every day or rust sets in. Yes keep at it.

4. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Good! Being able to read music fluently can open doorways to entire worlds of new music.

Keep at it. Don't give in to frustration and temporary roadblocks.

The more you learn and get under your belt, the easier it gets and after a while you start to absorb at a faster rate.

5. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    Thanks, everybody.

Yeah, I am having fun with it and every day I'd see a bit of progress, but today was big because I read and played the whole thing, at (an excruciatingly slow) tempo.

I'm trying to remember to have fun too, so I make sure and do other things too: playing along with songs and with real live people, writing, and plain ol' farting around.

Music is awesome. Rock on, everybody.

6. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Reading is just like a daily fitness schedule, you need to practice just a bit every day ;-)

Kinsman likes this.
  7. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    So totally true.
    And I do view it as fitness.

enricogaletta likes this.
  8. Well done, sir!

Kinsman likes this.