1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Progressing from blues soloing to jazz lines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by stoob, Sep 11, 2008.

1. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    I feel sick that some people like Tal Wilkenfeld have only been playing for one week, be about 10 years old, and can play the bass like it was grafted to them

Not so much in that song but she plays great jazz stuff on some songs, not too Pastorious-y but just enough:

I can pretty much do bluesy soloing over the fretboard, but what would be people's suggestions on taking the jump - I say jump as people should really get to grips with one scale before progressing to the next - to learning jazz scales and solos.

What would be a good scale or technique to learn jazz styles?
    Hope this isn't too much of a random question :rolleyes:

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Scales and techniques will help you understand what other players are doing. They are a tool, not an answer. But to answer your question most important information about jazz scales and such can be found here:

www.jazzbooks.com

There are other sites and books and all will offer pretty much the same thing packaged in different ways. Jazz is a very personal expression of music. Learn the tools and get to know yourself. Don't be put off by other players talent, in the end its about what you can do.

3. stoob

stoob

Feb 3, 2008
    Horten, Norway
    I see what you are saying and that's a great site but I'm sure that some people who have made a jazz progression has some great tips on this e.g. maybe Mixolydian first etc

4. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    Teachers help. Big time. If you can't get a teacher, try going to some live jazz clubs and meeting the bassists there. Ask them for some advice when it comes to playing jazz.