1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Progression of Favorite Band/Artist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frank Tuesday, May 7, 2015.

1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    There are many threads on TB that ask what your favorite bands are, and they all are asking the same thing: What bands are your favorites at this moment in time.

I think there is another interesting question to ask, what bands/artists have been your #1 at various points in your life? I don't care if QotSA is your second favorite band right now, I care that Motley Crue was your favorite when you were 12 years old.

Here are some of mine.

Def Leppard: I just started middle school when Hysteria came out. For the next few months I was obsessed with the band. Drew the logo on anything I could. Then, I heard Guns N Roses and decided that Def Leppard was lame. Started looking into heavier bands and eventually found my way into proper metal.

Suicidal Tendencies
    : I don't remember why ST grabbed me more than the other thrash bands, but they did. I cut custom grip tape for my skateboard in the ST logo, and had enough shirts to wear every day to school.

Ween: I had heard a couple songs and didn't care for them at all. My friend insisted that I had to listen to Pure Guava 2 or 3 times in a row, so I gave it a shot. About half way through the second time through, it all made sense.

The Flaming Lips: Saw them open for Tool in the early '90s, got all their albums and then kind of forgot about them after they took a long break between albums. A friend played The Soft Bulletin for me a year after it came out, and it blew me away. I really like the earlier albums, but I couldn't believe this was the same band.

Slim Cessna's Auto Club: I was trolling the Alternative Tentacles website looking for new music, clicked on SCAC and I thought, "Why is AT putting out country music?" I figured it was worth further investigation, and I was right.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The Beatles
    For me, music started with them.
    My older sister was a pre-teen Beatlemanic in '64 when they first hit the States. I was 6.
    It continued throughout their run to 1970 and beyond.
    She had all their singles and LP's and was constantly playing them.
    They hold the Number One position with me. Always have. All other bands come after them on my personal list.

Late 60's - early '70's British Rock bands -
    Music was enjoyed by genre/style more than just individual bands when I was a kid approaching and into my teens in the '70's. Some of them were listened to more than others. The big British bands of the era were all widely listened to by us.
    Cream
    The Who
    Led Zeppelin
    Black Sabbath
    Deep Purple
    Jethro Tull
    Uriah Heep among others.

Then there were the early Progressive bands that everyone loved back in the day:
    Yes
    Pink Floyd
    ELP
    Peter Gabriel era Genesis and the like.

The great English bands of this era are what influenced me to want to play music of my own.

The early to mid '70's North American bands became cool too.
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Kansas
    Aerosmith
    Rush
    Heart ect..

By the time the '80's came along, I was pretty much set in my musical ways.
    So many bands seemed to be just pasteurized and homogenized versions of the great ones mentioned.
    It became more about good songs than bands at that point. Thank MTV videos & one hit wonders for that.

I still listen to lots of new music. Much of it reminds me of the bands from my youth though.
    And that's OK

Last edited: May 7, 2015