Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Progressive bands without flashy guitarists.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dudemeister, Feb 27, 2003.

1. I heard the band Gentle Giant a couple of days ago and it was love at first sight(or the hearing equivalent).
    I've got a Dream Theatre album which I find very uninteresting due to the showoff guitarsolos all the time and the terrible falsetto 80's-singer...
    Which other progressive rockbands, besides Gentle Giant, are there that don't feel the need to fill every song with tasteless guitarsolos?
    What albums shall I get?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Greenslade - covers by Roger Dean, same as Yes - they had no guitarist most of the time - long keyboard solos instead!! ;)

You could also try Genesis in their prog-rock phase - not many guitar solos - especially after their main guitarist left!! :)

I remember the Strawbs had a prog-rock phase as well - when Rick Wakeman was with them .....

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    With the exception of some of the live performances of the Islands line-up, King Crimson has a wealth of material that relies more on structure than rambling(Try Lark's Tongue In Aspic, Discipline, or Beat).
    Even Yes follows themes more than mindless rambling. Steve Howe is a great guitarist, but I never consider him in the context of the guitar solo hero. You can go with almost anything, but the older stuff is where they earned their rep - The Yes Album, Fragile, Relayer are good starts.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    What on earth are you talking about? I don't remember dudemeister mentioning Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin at all. I don't agree with his statement about Dream Theather "<i>feels the need to fill every song with tasteless guitarsolos... & ...and the terrible falsetto 80's-singer...</i>" but Some of DT's Solo's are too long & alot of time the vocals are a bit how he describe them.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well he is clearly talking "mush" - I thought it was best to ignore everything after that word!! ;)

Brain turned to mush - too many drugs? :confused:

7. FuturePrimitive

FuturePrimitive Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Rush's Vapor Trails, no guitar solos on the whole album. Or keyboard for that matter.

8. I think Dudemeister wanted info about "PROGRESSIVE" bands. None of the bands you mentioned fall into that category.

Dude, definitely check out some Emerson Lake & Palmer. I think someone else mentioned it already too.

9. Thanks for all the replies!

Ok, what I meant about the Dream Theatre remark was that I want some examples of bands that don't need to do a lot of speedy and or advanced solos to write good songs (I know, it's a bit predjudiced. Sorry...). And I don't say that because I'm not a fast guitar player. I listen a lot to other bands and musicians that play a lot of solos, Frank Zappa, Jean Luc Ponty, Meshuggah, Toto for instance, so I am not at all against the soloing. I just wanted examples of bands that don't depend on them as much...

Of course I've listened to Sabbath, Zeppelin and such but I see them more as hard rock than progressive. And I think they do more tastefull soloing although they might not be as technically skilled as Petrucci.

...Iron Maiden is a completely different chapter. I listen to them because it's fun rather than good. :)

And what the heck is "mush"?

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. Mush, as in "all that follows is....."

11. Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. It doesnt just focus on Bela, it goes around from sax to bass to drumitar to whatever else they have. And hey, no guitar (well maybe a few songs, but still its not focused on it).

12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Without a doubt listen to Spock's Beard. Not very many guitar solos, instead you get very richly textured music. Dave Meros is (IMO) a superb bass player that has a wonderful sounding Rickenbacker.

They have parted ways with their original singer and main songwriter, Neal Morse, but the band is continuing on and are planning on releasing a new album this June.

In the same tradition as Genesis their drummer has taken the role as the lead singer. Just a little tidbit of info to pass along.

13. I think Pink Floyd is an obvious choice here that hasn't been mentioned yet.

I agree with what you're saying about DT, they have some incredible stuff but there is a quite a lot that falls under the category of wanking rather than soloing IMO. And the singing can be pretty awful at times.

14. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    It's good to hear of someone else picking up on the greatness of Gentle Giant.

here are my suggestions:

Estradasphere
    Happy The Man
    Hatfield and the North
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Ozric Tentacles
    Miriodor
    Anglegard
    PFM
    Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
    Magma
    Arti+Mestieri
    Peter Gabriel era GENESIS!!!
    Soft Machine
    King Crimson

prog is good.

15. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yeah! Another vote for the Ozrics.

I'd also suggest Tool.

They may not be "prog" but their songs are full of odd time signatures, monster drumming, and brooding guitar textures (with very little soloing).

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes!

Yes!

True!

Uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh!

Amen!!

brad cook

17. Tool are one of my favourite bands! I saw them at Roskilde a couple of years ago and they blew me away!

18. Don't forget about Jethro Tull. Not all of their stuff was super progressive in the overt 'listen to how good we are' tradition, but that's what makes them so good. Tull is always clever without hitting you over the head with it. They are fantastic musicians and very tasteful.

You could try 'Passion Play', 'Thick as a Brick' and maybe 'Heavy Horses' as more progessive examples of their work, but there is very little bad Tull. The last 2 or 3 records have been really good too.

There's always Marillion as another band to listen to.

19. Bruce Lindfield

I don't think they come into Prog Rock at all really and started off as wird singer-songwriter - Kevin Ayers - but were really steeped in Jazz and quickly went into the British Jazz/Avant Garde scene.

There's not much rock about them and even less Prog!! ;)

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    another vote for anglagaard. they were somewhat influential on a few of the things we've done that will be on our 2nd cd.

another kick butt band to check out would be anekdoten - their guitarist is really good, but not chops-focused. their whole sound is really wonderful, to be honest. i really like them alot - probably one of my top 5 bands right now.

there's a female band from japan called ars nova that's like elp on crack at 78 rpms. i think right now they are two keyboardists and a drummer. they're incredible musicians with really cool musical ideas.

another vote for ozric tentacles - cool stuff, very good feel. to me they always seemed like a proggy sort of phish instrumental band.