Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Progressive music Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fretless5verfan, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    My situation has changed yet again. I want your opinions on what would be the best 6-string bass that has enough punch and clarity to be heard in progressive style (Dream theater) music

my price range is about 1200 bucks

2. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Probably best you are going to get for that range is maybe a Cirrus...

3. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Check out John Myungs Custom Bass.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, if you want to be heard, i'd suggest something with good pickups and an active preamp. if you're not afraid of something extra, ;) , you could try a conklin groove tools gt7. they have bart pickups, active bart-designed preamp, wenge and purple heart neck, purple heart board, figured maple top. they compare very nicely, imo, to my conklin customs, and at less than a grand, they are the best option available for the money, imo.

5. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Whoa whoa whoa a 7? i'm scared hahaha. Do you really think it would cut through?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    is that a joke? ;) give the mp3 in my sig a listen. granted, we're not that much like dt but we do have heavy guitars/guitar-synths (2 of them, in fact) with lots of busy parts.

i've never had a problem cutting through. :D now, all my basses are conklin customs, but the gt7's perform very comparably - better than any 6 that i've tried in the price range.

7. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    no that wasnt a joke im seriously scared haha. I actually have a fear of all those strings to mute. specially the low F#. i had no idea that the GT7s compared to the customs. i will definately have to give one a try

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D don't be scared.

if you go to a store like a guitar center to try them out, be aware that the strings will probably be dead on the instrument. lots of folks love to try out the exotic 7 string at gc and spank out a few of their favorite fieldy licks and then put it back. i've been to many gc's, and everyone had gt7's with dead strings that didn't sound as good as i know the instrument can sound.

if you go and really want to try one out, get the sales monkey to either get you one that hasn't been played, in the back, or else change the strings. if he whines about it, tell him that before you are going to plop down 1000 on a bass, you want to hear it with good strings, which will only cost the store ~$20 bucks (that's what the 7 string set costs them, at most).

better yet, order one from musician's friend, and then if you don't like it, send it back. i think they have a return policy there. then you'll be sure to get something that hasn't been abused.

9. Like a hot knife through butter.

Seriously, a GT7 would be an excellent choice, I'm going to plop down some cash on a new Ampeg and then pick up a GT7 myself, they are intimidating, but with good technique, it's intimidation wanes quickly.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    exactly. good luck with it. :)

11. I just need more money!!! I've got $900 to spend on a new ampeg, which is an excellent combo amp, and is what I NEED right now-but I'm having wet dreams over one of these conklins. I've been playing them down at GC and the tonal range, beauty, and comfort of them sticks them on my top 5 list of production basses...

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    There goes JT again bringing over the inocent to the Dark Side.. ;)

Actually the GT7 is an excellent bass. I only play on 5-string basses.. but it was surprisingly easy to get used too.. It was a bit more difficult to slap on.. but I know you can get used to it.. You might actually like the GT7...

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Well, once I had the opportunity to try out a GT-7.

In fact, I was more at ease with it than with a 6-string, but I must specify I am originally a guitar player. So the GT-7 was for me some kind of "normal" guitar with a low-B extra-string.

Maybe one day I'll pick one, well I really don't know. What I know is that they sound great (the one I tried out was quite new, right out of the box, so the strings were new too).

I double JT's opinion on the fact that, in this price range (even here in France where they are much more expensive than in the USA), GrooveTools are much better than most other basses, no matter how many strings they have.

All the best,

14. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    so how would you guys compare the GT7 to a Cirrus6 for my playing situation?

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They would both work well for progressive music. I prefer the Cirrus, but there is no denying that the GT 7 is a fine bass as well.

The one thing that I really don't like about it is the neck joint. It is a bolt on, and while it is a very stable design, the ramp starts around the 14th fret and gets too thick for my little mitts at about the 18th fret.

I know a lot of people don't play up there, but I do, and if you are going to be playing progressive music, you probably will too.

The Cirrus is a neck through, and I can reach the 24th fret on all 6 strings on mine with little difficulty. On the GT 7, I can only reach it on the 3 highest strings, and even that takes more effort than the B string on the Cirrus.

16. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    yea i do play above the 18th fret sometimes. I also have small hands so that might be a problem for me as well thanks for that input.

i currently play a BTB405. I find the tone to be kind of lackluster. it doesnt really have any sort of presence in a mix. And i played a 1006(in a store so my opinion isnt fairly based) and i thought the tone was somewhat similar. could fill me in on the tone of a 1006 without dead strings? haha(oh, your string brand would be cool info as well)

17. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got a BTB406 (I highly recommend.. DR strings ;)), but I played a BTB1006e yesterday (same day as the first post) for the first time. Very nice sounding bass! It'll probably be the next six string I purchase when I decide to upgrade from my 406.

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yep, BTB1006e (barts) are great... i pity the foo who thinks otherwise!

:)

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have fairly small hands - pinky 2" long, middle finger 3" long - and i don't have a problem playing up high, although i agree that it is easier with a neck through.

just letting you know that you can do it with proper technique and practice, regardless of hand size.