Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project Bass, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Mar 12, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, i have a Carvin LB5 with the humbucking (stingray looking) pickup in the bridge and the normal jazz in the neck position.
    I'm not too happy with the electronics, plus i just got a stingray, so i want to switch out the pickups and maybe the preamp.

Do i have to replace everything, or can I just do the pickups? I'm not too interested in getting the Seymour Duncan replacement because I already own a stingray.

I want the tone to be more jazz/funk/warwick style. As far from the stingray sound as possible. Smooth, definately smooth. Does anyone have suggestions that would work without having to make new holes in my bass? Any ideas would be immensly helpful, as i have no experience replacing electronics. Thankyou for your help

Brian...

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You can change out the pups in your basses without changing anything else, because they are passive. However, I don't know of any Stingray-type pickups that are designed to have other than a Stingray-type sound. Bartolini and Kent Armstrong make replacements that you can wire in more than one way, yielding somewhat different sounds.

It's been a long time since I had a Stingray, so I'm not speaking from personal experience.

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I'd suggest you check out one of the U-Retro onboard preamps I distribute here in the US. I just shipped one last month to Ed Friedland for his new custom Carvin.

[​IMG]

For more information go to:

Http://www.thedudepit.com and scroll down to the J-Retro Forum

4. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    bump.... any other suggestions? Thanks dude for the U-retro idea... although pricey, i've heard wonderful things about those... anybody else have ideas on pickups etc? plus if i got the u retro, i'd have a few extra holes in my bass... or knobs that did nothing....

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    As Flatwound said, Bartolini makes 5 different MM style replacement pickups with all different types of tonal properties...have you checked it out?

Bartolini's Descriptions

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Another thing you could do is get one of John East's BTB-01 single stack onboard preamps like the one shown below. It's the center stackpot of his J/U-Retro Preamps with bass boost, treble boost & cut and a pull pot bright control. You'd replace your existing tone control pot only and it's available in chrome, black or gold for only $125, $135 & $145 respectively. I have one in stock.

[​IMG]

7. based on my Carvin 6 string experience I would vote the preamp before any pick up change. Carvins pre amp sounds way to choked and noisey for my tastes. The Retos are cool and my other favorite is the Duncan stuff.

8. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey, yea i've checked out everythg the Bart site has to offer. Other than Deep, Brighter, Brightest, they don't have much description.

I also don't know how different a dual coil would sound from a triple coil.

I'll most likely end up going for the Triple Coil "Brighter" sound pickup, and either a preamp a bit later.

any opinions?... thanks knight for the preamp suggestion. It is well taken, but i really want to get this pickup replacement done first.

thanks again... your help and suggestions are appreciated.. thanks again Dude for the retro stuff...

9. I had Barts is a Carvin, sounded really nice. I don't know if the were bright or deep but they sounded like they were bright.

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Why don't you try emailing Ed Friedland...he's very helpfull and is the man when it comes to Carvins. Tell him I sent ya!

Ed Friedland's Website

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've got a bass with the Bartonlini MME pickup in it. Very smooth, with a deep, fat tone. I've just dropped a JRetro in it and the bass just burns it sounds so good!

That's my suggestion...