1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project bass, don't know where to start with aftrermarket pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rota, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I know that Epiphone's aren't too highly regarded on this forum, but I personally really like the Epiphone EBM series basses. I just bought a second one tonight, a four string this time (my other is a 5), and want to start a project with it. It has a P/J pickup configuration and I want to throw some nice aftermarket pickups in as well as convert it to passive. In the end I want to have a nice P-bass punch from this bass with the warmth from the J pickup. As far as electronics go, I want just a single volume/tone knob, a 3 point selector switch, and an "S1" series-parallel switch.

Now the next step is getting the project started. Is there anywhere I can look for wiring diagrams to do the wiring I listed above? What resistance pot switches should I use? And do you have any suggestions for pickups?

I was looking at Dimarzio pickups and from the description given they sound exactly what I'm looking for. Straight up P-bass punch and growl with a warm sounding J pickup. What are your thoughts?

Any help is appreciated. I can't wait to get started!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

see FAQ the Bass Mod link in the first paragraph of Dimento's Trouble Shooting Guide. Probably a good idea to skim through the trouble shooting stuff in advance as well.

3. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Wow, can't believe I missed that. I'm usually one to read stickies before I ever post a thread too.

Thanks!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For starters it's hidden in the Trouble Shooting Guide and you weren't looking for trouble shooting - although you probably will be. Ivar didn't make it into a seperate stickie so I threw it in with the TSG. They're really complimentary anyway as I made a conscious effort not to repeat any more material than required.