1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project bass for 40 dollars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Aug 9, 2020.

1. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    I just spent an hour or so yesterday with a Samick Fairlane. Made in Indonesia. I was doing a favor for a friend.

I put a new set of strings on it and did the best set up I could manage. While the truss rod turned, I wasn’t seeing the reaction I was hoping for. I wanted a bit more relief, and it wasn’t real cooperative.

I noticed the headstock is attached to the neck with a scarf joint. Maybe the rod got glued, maybe I’ll need to revisit. But it’s not my bass, so I wasn’t about to get very aggressive.

Electronics were serviceable, but not impressive. A little ground noise, but nothing outrageous for cheap single coils.

Bridge was cheap, but I dialed in a decent setup and intonation was easy. A couple high frets way up the neck, but the “money notes” are all fine.

This bass lists for $199.00 new retail price. It belonged to a high school kid. I wish I’d gotten to set it up years ago when the kid had it. The action was horrible. It couldn’t have been any fun to play.

With new strings and a set up, it actually plays pretty well. Huge difference with just a little work.

Lighter strings, a slight neck shim and a better bridge would do wonders. (If the neck doesn’t backbow, and the truss rod works)
    As it is, the neck is better than I expected. Very little relief, but the fretwork is ok. Pretty impressive at the price point.

If your truss rod responds to adjustment, this would be a cool little project bass. New pups, maybe a bridge, and new wiring.

Revv likes this.
  2. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I didn't mention earlier that I met Greg Bennet when I was working at GC (around 2003 or 2004) and he was touring around showing folks how to use the "Roller Capo" that he had invented and GC was carrying. Seemed like a very nice guy.

He demonstrated on one of his Greg Bennet Samick Guitars. I don't recall the model, but I know the guys were pretty impressed though we didn't carry them at GC. My dad has a GB semi-hollow and it's a nice little guitar.

I've played a few over the years. As would be expected, The whole line seemed to have just a touch more refinement and design than similarly priced instruments, but overall they weren't necessarily much better instruments and I don't think they sold all that well. Plus, it wasn't long after that when Squire really kicked it into gear making entry level examples of alot of desirable basses and guitars at a similar price point.

Revv likes this.
  3. Here is a page showing all of the samick brands. Impressive..the Korean builds are excellent. The cheaper Indonesia pieces are ok but not the same attention to finish..
    Samick Wikia Really interesting. The Valley Arts pieces are very nice!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021