1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project Bass for Dennis Irwin Fund

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by arnoldschnitzer, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Hey, folks. I have a fully-carved Romanian flatback 3/4 size bass in need of repairs. Proceeds from the sale are going directly to the fund to aid Dennis Irwin in his time of need. Dennis and I were contemporaries many years ago on the NYC jazz scene, and as many of you know he is battling cancer and has no health insurance.

I will hand the bass over to the person who bids the highest over $500; check made out to the fund. I will consider shipping it.

A TB member had previously committed to this but just today went back on his word. I'm disappointed, and I'm anxious to get this done. I have pics but I'm a computer moron, so I can't post them here.

Please help.

2. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I am interested in the Bass but $500 would be my limit.

If someone else could donate more to a worthy cause then I would be happy they took the bass.

3. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    MingusAmongUs will be posting pics for this. FYI: neck loose, button broken, top crack, back crossbars need work, back seams open, needs set-up, etc. These are all repairable and would be a good project for somebody with woodworking skills. I'll be happy to give some free advice.

I'd like to see what offers come in in the next couple days. If nobody tops $500 it goes to the first person who expressed interest and still wants it.

Thanks, folks...

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Nicely done, Arnold.

5. ZachDad

ZachDad

Aug 11, 2007
    Texas
    +1! Bass or not let's all do whatever we can. I am battling the big C myself and even with good ins. it's expensive as hell. Arnold, let us know how and where we can donate to Mr. Irwin. Also, if not too personal, please PM me with details about his situation. (Maybe if our treatment is similar, I can share some tips for combating side effects etc.)

6. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Memphis
    This is the address the from the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra for the
    Dennis Irwin Wellness Fund:

Sixteen As One Music, Inc
    888-C Eighth Ave #160
    New York, NY 10019

Make the check out to Sixteen As One Music and write Dennis
    Irwin on the memo line.

7. Here are the pictures.
    Thanks, Arnold. It's a great thing you're doing.
    I'm sure someone else has considered this, but just in case, if anyone is in touch with Mr. Irwin, and also to you, ZachDad, Chinese medicine may be another avenue to explore, if expenses prevent "standard" treatment, or if that route doesn't yield positive results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I used to have a bass just like that one and I liked it quite a bit. Sounded good, stable through the seasons, no complaints other than some particularly "crunchy" varnish that looked pretty bad. This'll make somebody a good instrument, and a nice project, too. I'd take it on if I had the spare $$$ :scowl:

9. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I spent some time with Dennis a few weeks ago, helping his son (and my good friend) Mike make raw foods and green juice for him. He's on a very strict diet, and was in good spirits, all things considered. I hadn't seen him in years, and while the circumstances aren't the best, it was still very nice to catch up with him and share our stories about injuries/sickness (head injury in my case). We're all praying for you, Dennis!

Arnold, have you contacted the VJO about your project?

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Supporting Member

Great thing you're doing, Arnold. Thank you.

11. Wow. I had no idea Dennis was sick. He and I we in school together at North Texas. Is there a place I can get more info?

Win Hinkle
    bighinx@gmail.com

12. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Take a look Here.

13. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Arnold, this is really cool of you to do this. I am very close with Dennis' son and we play in a few groups together. He gives me updates whenever I see him.

For now it seems, Dennis' condition is stable. He started his chemotherapy a month or so ago and he's starting his radiotherapy sessions soon. I wasn't aware that he didn't have insurance though.

Again, really nice of you to do this for him!

14. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Hey, folks, I appreciate the kind words you guys are tossing my way. But I want you to know that this bass was given to me by a client who decided against fixing it up. Then the thought occured to me that something good (other than just profit) could come of this thing, and I've been looking for a way to help Dennis out in his trying time. So...

I think we'll let this carry on until Tuesday night (2/26/08) and see what kind of offers come in. I have a maybe offer of $600 so far. I think this is about a $3500-4000 bass fixed up, so somebody out there who wants to gain some experience with bass repair could have a nice project and maybe make a little money in the process.

Again, thanks to everybody for their words of encouragement and good thoughts for Dennis. And thanks to Dr. Paul Schefflein for donating the bass.

15. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im enterested.PM sent and bump for a good cause.

16. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Three TB'ers have expressed interest at $600. Do I hear $601?

17. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I am bumping up my original offer in a PM.

18. arnoldschnitzer

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    Sitting with an offer of $625...

19. ZachDad

ZachDad

Aug 11, 2007
    Texas
    Go Baby, Go!

20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I fully support this effort. Very noble indeed.

I wish you much luck and success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.