Project Bass maybes.... Need Feedback!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Okay, right now i'm looking to do a project bass, a stripped-down "chopper" style bass used as a distortion only bass.

Okay, this was an idea from this past weekend. I was reading a bass guitar magazine in the mall, and it had an interview with Nick Oliveri, whom is the former bassist of QoTSA. They asked him a gear question, and he replied that his main bass is something like a '72 P Bass, but he has alot of MIM P Basses of which he tore out the electronics (ie knobs) and wires straight to the jack. He also said he replaces the bridge and pickup too.

My question, if I wanted to do this the cheapest way possible, should I look for a used p bass, and go from there, or just buy the parts from warmoth and insert my desired pickups and bridge?? I'm not sure how much it would be, i havnt attempted a tally yet, but im just wanting maybe a precision pickup(or MM?) wired to the jack, and use either an ABM bridge or a Hipshot A style bridge... but Ive been thinking maybe a tremolo would be cool for this distortion bass i want. :D

Feedback is greatly appreciated,
    thanks, ryan.
  2. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    If you're pretty much going to replace all the parts of the P-bass i would definatly look into SX basses. I'm acctually having one getting hot rodded out as we speak. new pickups, neck, bridge, pots, tuners, etc. Of course they're fine basses the way they are but I just wanted to spend the money lol.

otherwise if you had your heart set on fender, i'd look into a used MIM or even MIJ to keep the expense down. then add all the parts you want.

As far as warmoth goes i think thats the most expensive route, but if you're willing and have the money it would make a fine bass. you could also talk to nino and have him build you a valenti from warmoth parts.