Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project bass pickups... Decided on Barts... but which one's...?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick Gann, May 28, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have an Ibanez TR500 Expressionist 4-string Jazz bass. I am turning it into my project bass. Soon, within the month, I will be defretting it, and I want to replace the pickups. The bass' specs are:

Body: alder
    Neck: 1 pc maple w/rosewood fretboard
    22 frets with medium frets
    Pickups: passive Powertier stack pickups
    EQ: active EQBIII (Bypassable)

I never use the active, so I will not miss them. I want to replace the pickups with some warm, smooth ones. I was looking at Bartolinis, but I don't know which to choose. I want a good fretless sound.

Can anyone out there give me some suggestions/opinions on barts that'd be good for the smooth, warm fretless sound?

Thanks
    Nick

2. dont know but
    up we go!

3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    thanks for the bump... I was gonna do it today if no one replied yet...

Please people... If you have the knowledge to help me, please do. I will be forever in your debt (until tomorrow;) )

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    9J1 pair looks like your best choice for fretless J pickups. If you can find some 9wJ4s maybe try them - but be careful as they're very sensetive to string spacing.

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm Curious as to how this endevour ended up, because I have a TR-500FL for sale and I was thinking of replacing the pickups, but I don't know what I can put in those huge soapbar slots. Any ideas? You can view the pickups on my Signature.

6. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You can go the Bartolini site, and they have the measurements for all of the pickups. Grab a ruler and measure the ones on the bass. The Bart site had a few sets that matched the size.

I never did the project in the end. I put the bass in the shop, got the wiring fixed, setup done, and a few other fixes here and there. Now, it's killer, it's my main fretted bass. I got a fretless Essex Jazz for my fretless needs.