Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

project bass. throw some ideas at me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by big evil robot, Jun 2, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I'm going to try and build my first bass.

I've ordered a body from Ebay, and I have a mim jazz neck that'll be coming off my old jazz bass.

Beyond that, I have no idea what to do with this thing.

My girlfriend thinks I should leave it natural, but I think some kind of finish would be nice.
    The back is mahogany, I'm not sure what the front is.

Attached Files:

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I think you should send it back since it's backwards...

;)

If I had a project bass right now it would be silver sparkle with a pickguard and no electronics. Just the pickup to the jack. That or dummy pots.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    YOU'RE A LEFTY?!

FREAK!

Sorry I just always make fun of lefties... don't take it personally. ANYWAYS, i'd say keep it natural. Get some funky knobs maybe, and neck-wise, i'm not sure. I like those Warmoth 13 degree ones. :)

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    The neck is gonna be a J.

hmmm... yeah, maybe wood grain knobs :D

5. Since you've got something working with the wood top, try getting your hardware to recede from drawing attention. That can be done by going with black hardware. Then you could also use wood knobs to do two things - make them less distracting and wood knobs add a little class. For sure cut a rear cavity and make a wood cover. Mount your neck with steel inserts and machine screws for a killer coupling. Replace the MOP dots on your neck with wood dots matching the center stripe on your body.

That oughta keep you busy for awhile! :D

6. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I was considering replacing the fretboard on the neck with a wood grain to match the body.
    Probably no dots or blocks.