1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by runt1978, Jan 6, 2005.

1. runt1978

runt1978

Jan 6, 2005
    I have a Fender Jazz that's pretty old. I came across some EMG pick-ups for free (brand new in the box); the problem is that they are for a five string bass with standard spacing (40P5/40CS). I was curious to know if I can use the body of the J-4 and convert the thing into a 5 stringed instrument. I know there will be a little labor involved, but hey isn't there in most "projects"? Any insight would be helpful.

One more thing...The only potential problem I see so far is that after routering the neck joint to accomidate a 5 string neck, I might have part of the neck protruding from the bottom of the body... Is this correct, or is there a way to shave the top side and still preserve the integrity of the instrument? :help:

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    buy a warmoth J 5 body that will cost you the same (finish included) that rerouting and repainting an old body + looking goofy.