Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by runt1978, Jan 6, 2005.

1. runt1978

runt1978

Jan 6, 2005
    I have a Fender Jazz that's pretty old. I came across some EMG pick-ups for free (brand new in the box); the problem is that they are for a five string bass with standard spacing (40P5/40CS). I was curious to know if I can use the body of the J-4 and convert the thing into a 5 stringed instrument. I know there will be a little labor involved, but hey isn't there in most "projects"? Any insight would be helpful.

One more thing...The only potential problem I see so far is that after routering the neck joint to accomidate a 5 string neck, I might have part of the neck protruding from the bottom of the body... Is this correct, or is there a way to shave the top side and still preserve the integrity of the instrument? :help:

2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    buy a warmoth J 5 body that will cost you the same (finish included) that rerouting and repainting an old body + looking goofy.