Project bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bman, Aug 25, 2001.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Hi. I picked up what I intend to be a 'project bass' yesterday.

It's an Epiphone EB-1 (violin shape, comes with a telescoping end pin so you can play it upright if you want.)

I got it for $200 new with hardshell case and endpin and all that stuff. Decent deal.
    (Although the first salesman swore the endpin didn't exist, and it certainly didn't come with a case. It did, and it did. Kid must've been from Mars or something.) ;-)

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. I own a Fender Jazz and a Warwick - both which growl. So it's nice to have a smooth sound for a change. For a cheap bass, it plays and sounds nice.

So why do I want to make it a project if I like the sound? I dunno. Just something to mess around with.

Here's my question: I'm somewhat interested in de-fretting it. (They didn't have the fretless model in stock and it's discontinued, evidently.)
    What's involved in defretting? I wouldn't do it, I'd have it done. Is it an expensive process? Is there a chance it'd kill the bass? I mean, is it a type of surgery that could kill the patient?

I also think I might have it painted. I'm intending to use it for rockabilly, so I might get it painted all stupid and gaudy. Maybe black with flames. Eh.