1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Project bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bman, Aug 25, 2001.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Hi. I picked up what I intend to be a 'project bass' yesterday.

It's an Epiphone EB-1 (violin shape, comes with a telescoping end pin so you can play it upright if you want.)

I got it for $200 new with hardshell case and endpin and all that stuff. Decent deal.
    (Although the first salesman swore the endpin didn't exist, and it certainly didn't come with a case. It did, and it did. Kid must've been from Mars or something.) ;-)

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound. I own a Fender Jazz and a Warwick - both which growl. So it's nice to have a smooth sound for a change. For a cheap bass, it plays and sounds nice.

So why do I want to make it a project if I like the sound? I dunno. Just something to mess around with.

Here's my question: I'm somewhat interested in de-fretting it. (They didn't have the fretless model in stock and it's discontinued, evidently.)
    What's involved in defretting? I wouldn't do it, I'd have it done. Is it an expensive process? Is there a chance it'd kill the bass? I mean, is it a type of surgery that could kill the patient?

I also think I might have it painted. I'm intending to use it for rockabilly, so I might get it painted all stupid and gaudy. Maybe black with flames. Eh.