Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

project bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by way_of_opiatism, Apr 8, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    so i got a new bass just to screw around with. squier standard, gold finish, p/j. i've defretted it using a soldering iron and wood filler. the fingerboard really has a great look after a few sandings. took about 45 minutes to go from fretted to fretless, now its just finishing time. im gonna replace the pickups next, dunno which brand im gonna pickup yet though.

is there a flatwound for people that hate flatwounds?

pics soon enough

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    bartolini pickups. D'addario make groundwounds. They are roundwounds ground into semi-flats. Try them out.

3. Yep. I have to agree all the way!

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Yep- try the D'Addario groundwounds. I use them on fretted and fretless and lvoe them-the perfect meduim between rounds and flats. You the comfort and playability of flats with the brightness and punch of rounds, only a little deader.:)

5. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    neither was available for me. i went with fender's flatwounds (temporarily) and emg pups/pots. right now im finishing up the fretboard with poly, probably do a few coats and sands with that. the pup replacement took about an hour and a half because i had to mod the body a little with a razor blade to fit the j-pup. soldering was a pain with the little red wires but other than that it was a breeze. but i have hit a snag, the pickguard's spacing for the pots is way too wide, like a 1/4" off. is this common? any suggestions for the solution? other than this little snag though i've had a fun morning!

6. I suppose that means that the pots are soldered directly onto the preamp? So maybe the easiest solution would be... New pickguard! :eek: :bawl:

7. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    yep. i think im gonna have one made at pickguards.com, also i have to find some knobs that fit the pots, the stock ones are no go. maybe i'll just file them out instead dunno. at least theres still work to be done, ive kinda plowed through the big stuff already. the bass looks bad in a really nice way right now with the beat up pick guard (drilled it for quick fix) and uncompleted fingerboard. the boards looking pretty good and its really smooth after sandings (on the 2nd poly sand now).

8. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    alright progress report:

got tired of the thin poly on the board, went with urethane instead, massively thick application. i used a spray can type with about 20 coats. took two days to do that, but you dont have to sand with the poly. the thick urethane gives it a really nice growl with some character mwah. i just put a schaller adjustable bridge on it (allparts bb3530) and wow. the bridge really shaped up the sound of the bass. the custom spacing is more to my liking and has made the bass much more playable. the action is much closer to where i wanted it. all thats left is im waiting on tuners from blackbird, a pickguard (tortoiseshell) from allparts, and im gonna repaint it. im not sure if im gonna strip it and then stain it white or just paint it white on top of the gold. ive seen the body wood underneath and its good enough to be shown off.

9. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    =

10. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    +

11. Just wanted to say that looks like great work, about the string spacing on the schaller, is it wider?
    If so by how much (from the standerd 19mm)?

12. as far as strings go, i have to say:
    D'ADARRIO "CHROMES" RIBBONWOUND STRINGS!
    i recommend these strings to everyone:cool:
    they're flats, but they've got a brightness that you wouldn't expect from flats. great for slap. good for fretless or fretted. my #1 string choice all-around.

13. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    its fully adjustable from 1-13/16" to 2-5/8". i still have to set it up i just have it roughly set right now (the g is way out there) to a wide setting. its so much more comfortable to play now.

i'll look into those chromes, im not real enthused with the strings ive got on it right now.

14. if you get them, you MUST wipe them down before you string 'em up... they have this weird silvery dust stuff on them, which gets on your fingers and stuff. it's weird, but they sound incredible.

15. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    the tremolo would be pretty tough to do, thats alot of cutting involved that i dont have the tools for. but it'd be fun to play with. i tried to get a set of tuners with a d-tuner on it but they arent sold with sets just separate, and they list the same as the sets :eek: the project has been alot of fun but its not cheap, even if you do get good deals on stuff. its really worth it though if you enjoy doing the work. just do everything one at a time so you can hear the progression of the project.

16. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    heres the tremelo. that part underneath needs some room to move and its pretty much all the way through the body. maybe when i move on to a "from scratch" project.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    FWIW, one of the best looking basses I've ever seen was a '76 or '77 Stingray that left the factory with a thin coat of Inca Silver over Shoreline Gold. It looked NICE. Do you know what color of base coat is used under the gold? If the gold is the base, it might look cool to sand it a little, so the grain shows through, then put a slight wash of white over that, like the Mary Kay Fenders. I dunno...just thinking out loud here.

BTW, the projects looking good!

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dude. Can you take another shot or so of that Schaller bridge? The pic from allparts looks funky, and the pic you took just made me more curious about it. Hows about a close up strait on pic...?

19. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    thats not a bad idea adron. it'd be alot easier than getting all of this finish off of the bass, not sure if i'd still have to prep it or not with the base on it. i'd like to do olympic white and i think the gold will lift the grain of the wood some. the wood grains pretty generic but good. its not high quality wood here or anything but i like the look of any wood grain really.

heres a few more pictures of the bridge and one of the neck:

[​IMG]

20. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    II

it will fit the fender drilled holes (it was slightly off on mine, but keep in mind its a squier so alot of things on the bass are a bit off naturally). the screws are underneath the saddles, the two end saddles have a little over 1/4" of movement, the two inside saddles are a little over half that. the bridge has alot of mass to it. allparts list is 100, retails about 80, i ended up paying 65 but thats with 5 off so 70 really. took 7 business days getting shipped. came with two allen wrenches, one for the saddles and one for the spacing.