1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Project bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slobake, Jan 9, 2012.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I bought a new bass after playing for six months. My original bass is a 10-11 year old MIM Standard Precision in scratched and dented black with a cracked white pickguard.
    I've had lots of problems with this bass since I bought it. At this point I have re-ran the ground so it makes contact with the bridge, replaced both pots and straightnend the neck. And staightened the neck again after putting flats on it. Duriing the whole process I've gotten better at setting it up as well.
    I love my new bass ( a 50's classic) but I have grown to love working on the old one. I think I will keep it as a back up and also something to tinker with. After all it is an organically road worn bass. :)
    Probably put on a new tort pickguard and keep my eyes open for a used Lindy Fralin pickup at a good price. :D (Is that even possible?).
    Maybe I could use this bass a my muted bass, instead of pulling the foam in and out of my other bass and re-tuning.
    I realize I will probalbly never re-coup any money I put into it , but that is not the point. It is really about tweaking and experimenting to see what I can learn.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I think it's a good idea to have a project bass. You learn a lot about instruments by tinkering with them. And having a back up is always a good idea.