Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project completed!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tuBass, Jan 20, 2003.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I finally finished the infamous Bronco bass project. Here are the latest pictures. The tally so far, new bridge, new pickguard, all new pots and knobs, a fender noiseless bridge pickup and dimarzio Model one neck pickup.
    This thing sounds great, what a great funk bass! I had an issue getting the two pickups in phase with each other, but it plays like a dream now. It's my son's bass, but I may have to "borrow" it for a few things.
    I know the picture of me looks funny, but it is a short scale bass, and I am 6'8"!!
    Comments?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    SWEET! that thing looks awesome, bet it sounds nice to.

3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    This looks great! Thumbs up!

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Besides the fact that it looks like a guitar on you, that totally rocks!

Besides, it looks like a real bass on your son, so all is well.

Peace
    Nick

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  6. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    A dimarzio model one???? how does that sound?? like a MM??? can it be placed at the bridge or in the middle(would it sound ok)?? is it good for slaping??

i'm going to buy a set of dimarzios (dp123), and i was wondering how the dimarzio model one would sound....
    that's all
    thanks!!

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It's a neck only pickup. No good for slapping, and not many highs. It's great for blending with a bridge pickup, so that's why I had to add the Fender. It should be used a complimentary pickup only, in fact dimarzio describes it as a "woofer" pickup. If I had known that before I installed it a couple of months ago, I would have put in a P or J pickup instead. That mistake forced me to do this latest Batch of upgrades.
    Here is Dimarzio's information on it.
    Dimarzio's web site
    thanks for looking, what do you think of the bronco?

Mark

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Heya tubass! Somehow I missed when you changed your name from Monsterweights!

Anyway...bass looks good. Good pic of the kid too!

brad cook

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Wow! 6'8"! Someone's been taking their vitamins.

The bass looks great. I love seeing people and their "project basses." I've always been tempted to do one but I have no money so thats always discouraged me just a bit.

I bet your kid must love that bass. I would have loved for my pops to upgrade and experiment on my bass.

10. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    nice work!
    Cut down those allen adjustment screws on the bridge before someone gets their hand ripped open!!!

11. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Actually, I had them out totally until yesterday, but I replace the groudwound with roundwounds to see how good it would funk, and the lower tention strings required me to raise the saddles a little.
    I've never cut the posts before, would I grind them from the top of the bottom? I might be better off seeing if I can find some short replacements.

Thanks for the comments.

Mark

12. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    TuBass: Thanks for the answer, the bass looks ultra nice!!!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pretty snazzy looking.

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Just in case anybody is wondering, the pickup cover on the neck pickup was made out of two humbucker cover that were designed for a guitar sized humbucker. The Bass humbucker is a little tall, neck to bridge, so I had to take the two pickups, cut them lengthwise into two unequal parts, and splice the two larger remaining part together. That's why there is a stripe of red pinstripe running down the middle. It covers the splice line.
    Someday if I run across a factory Model One cover, I'll probably install it, but this pickup came out of a Billy Sheehan Yamaha, so it didn't come with a cover.
    anybody got a cover they want to sell me?

Mark

15. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Looks good to me there!

You got any sound clips? If not, could you record some? I just want to see how a Squier Bronco after modding would sound like

DM

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Very Cool!

That's what I would call a very "high-end" Bronco Bass!

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I'll try to get something up. i think I can get a respectable sound clip using using my laptop.

Mark

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    thanks for the reminder. I was getting ready to cut them down today, when I noticed the old bridge i took off the bass. The saddle screws were the perfect size and length to go in the new bridge.
    they look five even though they are chrome, and I don't have to worry about my kid getting a sliced hand.

Mark

19. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    just an update.
    I found out on another thread that was I actually have is a willpower pickup, not a model one. I was told wrong about which pickup came on the yamaha. It's funny, the willpower is less boomy than the model one, and the willpower i have id VERY boomy.

20. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I had somebody ask me about the picures that used on this thread, so I'm restoring them.