1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Project Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Synplicity, Aug 20, 2007.

1. I recently bought a double jazz pickup (like the american deluxe p-bass bridge pickup) from WarriorJoe7, its an active p-up.

Joe cant remember much about it, seeing as it was about 5yr ago that he got it.

This is my first electronics project for bass, so i have a few questions:

1) What does each wire do from the p-up?:

Resized12.

i checked the fender website, but it wasnt very helpful.

2)Would a Aguilar OBP-1 Preamp work with this pickup (with either blend control or vol/vol for each coil, if thats how it works)?

Any help would be much apprieciated.

Cheers.

Shaun.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

pic doesn't blow up but that looks like a Dimarzio and uses DM color code. Schaller made a very similar pup but uses a different code and it's a quad with 8 leads.

Assuming it's a DM then red is hot and black ground to one coil and white is hot and green is ground to the other coil, the other being ground. You can use a meter and determine if those leads are in deed related to the associated coils.

At any rate, you have a 4 lead HB pup and can use any diagram you find associated with one. You probably wouldn't wire the coils to seperate volumes otherwise they won't be humbucking so you'll likely get hum.

Any pre will work fine with it.

3. okay, thanks for the reply.

i just checked the output from the red and black wires, its about 12.5k (if thats correct).

I should have mentioned that the green and white wires have been soldered together beforehand

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    looks to have adjustable allen poles but probably not DM or miswired then cause green and white would be the same coil per DM code. With 12.5K output it's likely wired in series with red being hot and black ground.

5. Marlin014-1.

heres a larger picture.

ill probably keep it wired as-is, and alter it if i need to.

Thanks for the help luknfur

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not DM. Looks on the Duncaness side, SD has the same color code but different connection and white and green are on different coils so that would fit.

At any rate, high probability it's wired series as is, red to pot lug, black to pot back, and ground to jack ground should get you sound.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Nope, it's passive. Can't help much with the colour codes, but follow luknfur's advice and you'll likely be fine.

Should work great with the Aguilar (best of the commercial pre's IMO). Wire the two lots of series coils in series, like a DM J, and then take each to an on-on-on switch and set it up for series / parallel / single coil for a lot of tonal variation.