1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project: Hohner HP bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ares001, May 11, 2010.

1. Ares001

Ares001

May 11, 2010
    so i found this bass in the percussion room of my high school, and its kinda beat up, but i see real potential in it. nobody has used it in many years, so i was gonna take it home at the end of this year and make it into a project bass.

its basically a p-bass body with a neck that feels (to me) like a stingray. i havent checked any of the electronics yet (so a new pickup and pots are tentative), but as far as i can tell a truss rod adjustment and new strings is about a quarter of the battle. The pickguard is also a bit warped from age and conditions of the room, but a new p-bass pickguard should fit perfectly.

im also thinking of re-painting it, maybe something edgy yet not too distracting (maybe pistachio green?)

let me know your thoughts

2. Sounds like something to do , the school said you could have it?

3. Ares001

Ares001

May 11, 2010

well i doubt the school even knows it exists, so i was just gonna take it haha

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Bad bad habit to start man... very bad.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Stealing a bass from school isnt a good idea.

A guy took chairs out of my school's dumpster last year during our new renovation and was charged with theft. So, Id watch yourself.

6. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    That's still stealing.....just get a job and buy a bass like everyone else

7. Yeah, be careful about trying to take it. I think stealing from schools is a Federal crime.

8. Ares001

Ares001

May 11, 2010
    alright fine ill talk to my band director but thats not what this thread is about!!! what are your thoughts on the bass?!

9. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    Stealing from schools is also very bad vibes.We even have vibes over this side of the pond. If you follow-up on bass playing and you started off by pinching a bass from your school, think how you'll feel.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I'm not here to lecture you, but you never know, it could belong to some kid...I'm sure it belongs to someone somewhere.

Anyways, if its in such bad as shape as you say, talk to your music director and see if you can snag it for a good deal, or maybe even free. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Lets see some pics of this beast so we can check it out!

11. I traded the tuning machines on my bass with ones from an old yamaha BB300 that's sitting in my band room. But, yeah, I'd love to see pics of this bass. Speaking of stealing from schools, there's an old Kramer DMZ that tempts me every time...but I'm too good of a person to take it.

12. Dylan.Chaos

Dylan.Chaos

Jul 24, 2010
    Old thread, right?

Well, i inherited this bass from a distant relative. No amp, no nothing. just the bass.
    Took it to adjustment, they tell me the nut from the truss rod is damaged... so i might need to either replace the nut or the entire truss rod.

Its a Hohner Profesional HP Bass.

Also id like to repaint it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab316/dylan_chaos/DSC00910.jpg
    http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab316/dylan_chaos/DSC00911.jpg
    http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab316/dylan_chaos/DSC00915.jpg

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    So many goodie-goodie's here. More than anywhere else on teh interwebs for sure. :bag:

Good luck with the new bays and post win done.:bassist:

14. Dylan.Chaos

Dylan.Chaos

Jul 24, 2010
    what i meant was... any tips on how can i do it (if it can be done at all)

15. Honestly if the truss rod is busted that bass is just junk , its really not worth anything from a $ perspective. Of course you can learn alot working on one.

Dont replace the truss if its broken , the bass aint worth it , cut the neck in half and throw it in your fireplace. You can pickup a used neck in the classfieds cheap

16. I too am looking for information on the hp bass.. I don't know what to do with it!! Either sell or give away. I'd like to know how much it's worth