Project - OLP Tony Levin - gutted and glamoured

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Exo-Politician, Dec 15, 2014.

1. So, with enough basses to satisfy my needs. I came across this beauty in a small store here in Australia.

Instantly loved the colour and pickguard, so I thought to myself. Imagine how great it would be as a platform for greatness. I have gone for a 70's funk inspired look with White Pearloid Pickguard and Gold Hardware.

Just for the clarification, I already have a Stingray 5 and bought this solely for something different.

The Plan:

OLP Tony Levin Music-Man 5 (Peach)

I have stripped the bass of everything, preamp, tuners, bridge, pickup, everything.

The purchases that are currently on their way:

Schaller 496 5-String Bridge - Gold
    Schaller Strap Locks - Gold
    Hipshot HB1 Tuners - Gold
    Axemasters Brass Nut
    La Bella Flats
    White Bass Muffler from EBay Seller - Iztker
    Dimarzio Switchcraft Jack
    Pin-up Girl Neck Plate

In addition to this, I have ordered a Stingray 5 Pickup from Haussel in White with Gold pole pieces. Wired in series and to have a darker tone.

This bass will be wired straight from the pick-up to the jack hence the Series and darker tone to even the extra output and treble.

Custom Guitars here in Melbourne are making a Custom Pickguard on White Pearloid with no controls drilled for a clean look.

The only downside to the OLP aside from the hardware was poor fret work. So a local luthier is dressing the frets for me.

Really excited around this project.

Will post pics as it progresses. Wish me luck!

2. The Bass in question...straight from Google.

Attached Files:

3. Nice. I did a similar project with a $10 craigslist purchase of a cheap Ibanez GSR100.

4. Minor setback with the pickups not available with Gold pole piece's. So sticking with Chrome.

I also was able to swing a Seymour Duncan MM for very cheap so that's going in with the Haussel pickup now.

Just waiting on all the parts now.