1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project P: butterscotch, tort, rosewood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by denton57, Nov 11, 2010.

1. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Ok i have an idea for my 83 Fullerton RI project P. I got the neck and pickguard from a Jan 83 62RI here on talkbass a while back. Nice aged tort guard and dark rosewood neck :). Just picked up an early Feb 83 body off of ebay that has been sanded down to bare wood. The neck and body are like 2 weeks apart. Anyway, i am thinking about ordering from reranch the butterscotch nitro for the body. I am trying for the aged "stripped" pre cbs look for this bass. Kinda like a bass that was stripped back in the late 60's early 70's but the wood has aged to a nice amber color.

I was thinking about the butterscotch finish with no clear coat or the satin clear coat. Anyone have a butterscotch finished bass with tort/rosewood? It seems the reranch nitro butterscotch is amber like, which is the color i want..

Anyone have pics?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Butterscotch while transparent, won't be clear. I would be more inclined to get amber tinted Nitro Lacquer.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    +1

4. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I dont necessarily want a clear wood look. I am more interested in the color. If the wood shows or doesnt show, it doesnt matter. I just want that amber shade, and also to see pics of similar basses :)

Thanks!

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Then butterscotch would be the way to go, I reckon. Post pics when you're done!

6. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Reranch says the butterscotch and amber neck tint are similar, but the neck tint is more yellowish versus the butterscotch being more goldish. Thats why i went with the butterscotch.

Thanks! Im excited about the project, and any similar bass pics would be cool!

7. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Sounds like it will be real nice man.

8. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Sounds like it would look pretty cool.
    The closest I have is a brand-new Schecter Model T in what Schecter calls Butterscotch. But its not see thru at all- totally opaque. Mine has a rosewood neck and a black Cowpoke-like PG which I think looks really great.

I agree with what Adrian said about the butterscotch nitro. It sounds like you want a very thin-skinned finish to let a lot of the body grain show thru. The amber tinted nitro would probably let more of the grain show through than the butterscotch

EDIT: your post about the differences in color came up while I was typing. I see your point!

9. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Yeah, thin skinned all the way. This is my first finish job, but ive been studying the reranch tips page pretty hard. Plus, it doesnt have to look perfect and shiny..actually the opposite! Kinda rough and unprofessional like a real early 70's strip would look. I mean not crappy, but not perfect and shiny :)

Whats really gonna sell the look is the 83 guard and neck. Looks totally pre CBS now! The body weighs 4lbs 5 oz, so this should be right at 8lbs

10. snappytom

snappytom

Aug 17, 2005
    ChicagoLand
    Here is my favorite G&L SB-2 in a Transparent Butterscotch Blonde, Tort, Rosewood combination.
    Looks and plays great.

[​IMG]

11. denton57

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Nice!!