1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Project Progress Photos: Refinishing and rebuilding a Squier SS Jaguar Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 15, 2017.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am working on a project for my partner (and myself, haha). Taking a Squier short scale jaguar and replacing almost everything, and doing a DIY refinish on the body, and a slightly tinted nitro on the neck. New electronics, hardware, the works.

The bass feels great stock. The neck has a little bit of flame on the back and a great rich rosewood fingerboard, which I was hoping for (I ordered the bass sight unseen).

The pickup is from a 1983 US Fender Precision Bass.

A few days in, and great progress so far. (anyone have a used set of medium gauge flatwounds for sale?)

img_4077-1-.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    canuckshort and Malak the Mad like this.
  2. Neat I got one for my GF back in 2011, but it was for me as well lol. What will be the bridge pickup?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nothing! Leaving it out for simplicity. She currently plays a mustang or a musicmaster and doesnt dabble in jazz pickup/bridge pickup tones as of now. As for what to do with the route; that remains to be seen. We dont mind the way the empty route looks,but maybe another option will present itself.

4. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    All the more reason to put one in!

Nice so far! I'm impressed that the wood looks so nice without finish. What are you planning finish wise? I'd be leaning toward vintage tint natural with the original PG.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tung oil and aged clear stewmac nitro so far. One thin coat applied, I have to sand a lot more still.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Body sanded smooth. Neck tinted a bit more with nitro. Hardware installed.

All thats left (hopefully) is to install the knobs I ordered, some deep talkin flatwounds, intonate the bridge, install the P pickup; remove the uneeded pot for the jazz pickup, and
    stare into the deep abyss that is the jazz pickup route.
    img_4107-.
    img_4109-.

Attached Files:

7. Interesting - I like it. You need to find something to do with that bridge pickup route - maybe install some type of mute. that might be cool.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yeah Im looking into my options. Advice considered.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just have to install the pickup now. Probably will remove the extra pot and fill the hole with a smooth chrome carriage bolt.

Tuners required some new holes; they are schaller liscenced tuners from 1989 or so. Had to put the G string one on slightly crooked to prevent the corner from sticking out from the headstock. Barely noticeable.

Knobs are vintage from probably a Kawai/Teisco

Strings are labella deep talkin flats except the E string is a daddario chrome. The E string of the deep talkin flat didnt take to the tuner very well, split and begun unraveling . It was too long with some of the silk left on so I trimmed it after the silk and perhaps I should have left a little but of the silk on. Not to worry! Strings feel great; very balanced. Can always replace the string later if desired.

I think the 62 RI bridge I put on is 1mm wider spacing than the stock one. The G string is a bit close to the edge but she never plays that string, let alone doing pull-offs high up the neck. I have the stock bridge on standby in case we ever want to put it back on. This one looks better for now and feels flipping great.

The bass is so resonant and light. Fretjob is amazing, better than our vintage musicmaster bass and probably on par with my vintage mustang bass, maybe even better. No high frets that I can find. No significant deadspots on the neck.

?temp_hash=3d68f3079ac1a8e679882ddbfeb03176.

Attached Files:

TheMinutemen likes this.
  10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Pretty much finished at this point. Ordered a short scale set of Chromes since the la bellas are splitting around the tuners, strings not here yet.

Will plug the control plate hole.

the 83 fender pickup was too noisy so I put a seymour duncan quarter pounder into the Fender's pickup cover.

Only played it for a minute so far but it sounds great and feels great!
    I know most people here wont like the pink duct tape but its a solution for now.

?temp_hash=1bab0a24270bc7db9a42cb574950f292.

Attached Files:

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Compared the tone tonight to my 74 mustang bass. The quarter pounder in the jaguar is a more 'extended frequency range' style with definitely more lows. I dont know if I would say it has more highs, as both the basses have pretty clanky highs with the flats on; I tend to roll the tone pot down. The mustang needs the strings raised slightly (notes choked out a little), but overall I would say the mustang pickup is slightly more woody in tone with more definition in the bottom end, but less overall bottom end. More classic P tone. The quarter pounder is without a doubt more full and has higher output. Really drives the amp.

Apples and oranges and they are both pretty sweet. The Jaguar is definitely set up better at the moment. No choked out notes, no bad frets. The mustang has a high fret or two in the upper register, as does my 78 musicmaster. The fretjob on the squier is either better or just newer, and has seen less action and weather changes over the years.

The neck is smaller in every way on the jaguar. The mustang and musicmaster necks are basically the same I think. My particular mustang neck feels like it has maybe a thinner finish on it than the musicmaster, or its just seen more play time. The mustang neck has also yellowed more than the musicmaster neck. Maybe Fender switched their gloss finish compounds sometime in the 70s? Not sure.

Back to the jag. Rips in every way. Cant say enough good things. That said, Fenders and Squiers vary soooo much bass to bass, instrument to instrument. So many things are down to perception and arbitrary preferences. Heavy, light, etc.