Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project: Refinishing acoustic guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tsal, May 17, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys,

This old, cheap acoustic guitar was given to me by family friends few years back (I think I was the second fellow who it was donated to) and it's been collecting dust ever since. Now, I thought to start refinishing it, to make it a sort of a campfire guitar. And, I thought to make it public, so that you guys can see the whole thing, screwups and all.

So here we go, Tsal's Summer Project 2003!

The victim you can see here, it's an extremely cheap nylon-stringed guitar - well, I guess that's what it's ment for - with plywood body, extremely cheap parts, etc, basicly the variety you see sold at Wal-mart for $20. Not kidding here. There's a sticker saying "Scala" inside the body, but I'd be very surprised if you would have seen a guitar by that name costing more than $50.

It has dings and scratches, missing E-string, frets that stick out quater of an inch, two different tuning machinerys et cetera. But for some reason, no matter how crappy it is, I somehow like the sound of nylon strings and the neck, even if bit twisted, feels quite nice, so it's getting some filing, sanding and new paint.

Hang around to see the progress!

Disclaimer: If you have any experience about woodworking, painting, fixing musical instruments or such, what you see will probably deeply disturbe you! So keep your nitros around, this is 100% pure amateur work, and I'm jumping from one phase to the next one and back to finish the first when I feel like it. Fun ride, though!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Here we have our brave volunteer.

You can see the fretboard which has some greenish stuff on it near the headstock. Hand grime, I'd guess, the fretboard is painted red, similar to headstock. I sanded it a bit, and underneath was this blonde, yet not that pretty wood. I have been thinking about putting plain laquer on, no matter how poor the grain is.

[​IMG]

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ok, since I started this thing couple days ago, I've already gotten somewhere. I removed the nut and tuning machinery, and gave the fretends some filing not to tear my hand up when handling it. I also did some preliminary sanding on the neck and headstock, and sanded the top so that I can paint it. Here's the guitar now, top has been somewhat sanded, it's going to be solid color so I didn't bother to sand it out perfectly.

I taped it up with masking tape and some paper, and am currently priming the top.

[​IMG]

4. I say blue for a solid color :D

don't be afraid to try something that you haven't done before, without knowing how. Cheap fun is what it looks like to me. Then, after you're done you can do some more solid research. Then start a more serious project.

Everything usually takes practice.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Sparkle is the word, dear Tufnuts :cool:

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ah, some progress during the weekend! I got it primed - I went for a bit of overkill and put on three primer layers and wetsanded it in between. I found out that what the can label suggests, "put on several thin layers of paint, let dry few minutes in between", gives pretty nice results. I could had sanded the wood better before I started to paint, dings and such really show through the paint well. But anyways.

I put on the primary coat. I ended up with metallic green, dark blue would had been perhaps bit more classy but I wanted this to look brighter, as it will see festival camping areas and such. The thing with metallic paints is, you can only paint one layer, and you can't sand it, since the flakes float to the surface. It came off pretty even though, without darker spots.

Also decided to paint the traditional ornamental ring around the soundhole, which took some planning. Putting on bits of masking tape on the outer circle here.

[​IMG]

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses