1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Project Studio - Construction Under way

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by peterpalmieri, Feb 25, 2015.

1. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey guys I have knocked this around for years on this site and thought I'd document it with it's own thread. I will go back and post pictures up to where we currently are on the project. And then keep it current going forward.

This is the basement of our 1927 home. When we bought the house the basement left a lot to be desired. The original floor in the basement was dirt and at sompoint someone poured a floor in small sections which was cracked and broken. Old duct work, plumbing and wiring were a mess. We have repaired the floors, replaced all the duct work, wiring and plumbing in the house. This has been over the last 6+ years.

What we were left with is a 30x11 room with 7' ceilings. That includes the main beam of the house running the 30' length and the main drain pipes running the exterior 30' wall. The ability to do a quality job to contain the noise (soundproof) leaving the room is tough with the space constraints. The walls and ceiling have been insulated with Roxul Safe and sound. The ceiling will be 2 layers of 5/8" drywall hanging from resilient channel, there will be no holes in the ceiling for lighting, duct work or electric. The walls are going to be two layers of 5/8" fastened directly to the studs. All the electric is in and wall sconses and outlets are all backed with putty pads. For the subfloor we used Dry core tiles.

Sheetrock is being delivered next week, 70 sheets of 4x8 5/8" sheetrock will need to be manuvered down an old steep stair case that has two turns in it. In that time I need to finish the last of the insulating and hang the resilient channel.

The room will consist of a small mixing desk / computer area, a section to practice with my basses and amps. And a media area where I can listen to music and do family movies.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  2. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    P2170017.jpg

P2170016.jpg
    P3110028.jpg

3. More power to you.
    I played in a studio once where the control room was a discrete rectangle that accentuated the bass during playback, which goofed up our recording when mastered. I hope you can find time to read up on this topic and avoid it in your design.

4. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

5. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Yes you are correct. My space was to small to address this with angled walls or vaulted ceilings. I have received a well documented room analysis from Auralex and plan on moving forward with that which includes bass traps wall treatments clouds on the ceiling. That being said I have spent a really good amount of time in this space and have really thought out my needs. It is unlikely that I will be doing any significant mixdowns or mastrering in this space. Mostly my own practicing maybe small rehearsals and a good listening environment. I'm taking that all into account as I asked for help in treating the room with these priorities in mind.

6. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    image.jpg

7. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    image.jpg

8. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    image.jpg

9. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    image.jpg

10. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    image.jpg

11. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Some of those first photos date back to 2008. Above this space is the master bedroom, bathroom and part of the living room. The goal when complete is for me to be able to close the door and be able to practice my double bass with the bow and electric bass without headphones without waking the kids (their bedrooms are on the second floor). And allowing my wife to watch the TV in the bedroom or living room or hold a conversation without disturbing her. I'd like to think I could listen to music at a good volume or a host a small jazz rehearsal, I don't expect complete silence in the house but hoping for enough isolation that everyone can go about whatever they want to do.

12. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Found this on the Post Your Studio thread. SUBBED!

peterpalmieri likes this.
  13. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Looks like a great project! Basement space is so underused. Perfect mancave territory.

I used the drycore sub flooring in our basement. Great stuff, the space feels much warmer and dryer. Easy on the wallet and a breeze to install. I did the floor last, after all the drywall finish and paint.

I framed out and insulated, rewired, and sheet rocked. Now a small portable heater makes my man cave cozy in minutes.

I'm lucky to have south facing windows as well. I put good Marvin sliders in to replace the old aluminum single panes.

I created a standing height desk and reworked some old cabinets to rack gear on either end. Lots of extra outlets and a couple switched outlets for desk lighting and gear racks. I can do all the playing I want with my B3 headphone setup hooked up to the Mac. Works for recording too.

I've got a big main room as well, but I need to get the kid out of the basement and off to college to totally take over down there. Six months and counting down to launch!

Have fun with the mud and tape!

14. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hung some 2lb MLV over a few bays that have ducts running through them and finished the insulation.

Decided I'm doing resilient channel on all the walls today. Should be here sometime next week.

Putting up the resilient channel on the ceiling in the morning.

15. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Loving this. What I'm loving even more is the 2006-ish vintage iMac. I have two of those and both still work. Lovely computers!

16. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Some of the early photos date back a little bit. That IMac is long gone as is the digi console.

17. geeza

geeza

Mar 15, 2009
    Earth, but just barely.
    I'm not wearing pants
    subbed

18. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Awesome project.

19. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Since I hung MLV over a few of the bays in the ceiling I find myself having to cut the extra into small spacers so the resilient channel is hung level. It is slow going. I thought I'd get it all up for when the rock arrived Friday not happening.

Probably gonna spend most of next weekend getting all 70 sheets of rock down the basement. Not looking forward to it.

20. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Putting up 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on the ceiling isn't going to be fun, especially considering I have to hit only resilient channel and not short it out by hitting a joist. I'm thinking of buying a drywall lift from Harbor Freight for $200 and then selling it on craiglist when I'm done.

Anyone ever hung drywall from resilient channel before have any tips?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021