Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project Talkbass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CROZ, Nov 7, 2000.

1. This is for everyone with computer based studios...
    Let's make a TALKBASS ALLSTARS solo track. We'll start with a chord progression....(someone will have to get inspired and make the backing track.)...
    We'll try to keep the sound quality low like 16 bit or maybe even convert them into mp3 or something for ease of downloading. We'll trade tracks...everyone will get 4 or 8 bars to solo on and...? Any ideas? Let's do it.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How about a Talkbass members' Compilation CD sampler?

Will C.:cool:

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I dig it!

I'm in

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm in, but only if I can have a 64-bar solo as minimum! ;)

Actually, one of the Sax players at my local Jazz workshop, has just thrown us an original tune, based on a simple chord sequence - how about this : 4 bars each of

CMaj9
    Ab9 sus4
    BbMaj9
    F#9 sus4
    AbMaj9
    G9 sus4

This sounded like the sort of progression CROZ was talking about to me, as it has that quality of going round and round for ever...or maybe we could get a variation on this type of "modal" theme?

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    OK, but I want a whole step modulation before my part. ;)

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    ok, when we all agree on a style and progression, I can bang out the tracks with band in a box, and mix them to MP3. I'll post the MP3, you download it, solo on a chorus, and send just the solo wave back to me. Then I can mix them all together with the original track. I guess to make it sync correctly, you could just record the solo right from the beginning.

7. Pacman, it would probably be better if everyone mixed down to 2track stereo before passing it onto the next person...that way we wouldn't have to worry about sync problems...
    I'm gonna start working on some backing track ideas...When I'm done I'll post about 4 bars of each in MP3.

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    the problem there is you have varying degrees of quality. I think if you've got one "master control" program, you can mix a little more consitantly.

I'm using nuendo, so I'd volunteer....

9. Pacman, how do you like Nuendo...I haven't got a chance to try it yet..It's got a lot of stuff on it I wouldn't use like surround sound/dolby encoding, etc. Sounds like it's more oriented for multimedia/film soundtracks than for musicians. Does it perform better than Cubase for just plain stereo multitrack recording.?<p>
    Anyway...if you want to mix it...sure. As long as you mix everyone equally. I kind of wanted everyone to be able to add their layer and go straight on to the next person with no middleman but this is an experiment anyway, right. I didn't just want everyone to add just the solo, I wanted them to add another complete layer of harmony,melody, or just accent the chords. Maybe someone could even harmonize another's solo? <p>
    Definitely need more people in on this, though.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nuendo is the bomb, man! It definately outperforms Cubase, Cakewalk (which I had been using)and most of the others I've tried. It comes as close to having ProTools (which I use at work every day) on a PC as I've ever seen. Not cheap, tho.

As far as the mix goes, you realize that I'll have to mix *me* louder than anyone else :) just kidding

the play one, pass it on thing might work too....

11. Yeah Im in for playing something..(although Im not a "star" but thats beside the point or??) this will be fun! Just tell me how to do the recording.. and Ill do it. I think Ill record my part using Sound Forge or something. Get all details and info up. :)

[Edited by Mesa Man on 11-09-2000 at 05:49 AM]

12. alright, i'm all about this idea. Though CROZ, we should probably make some sort of list for the order in which people will get the file. Reason for that is that, if everyone adds to the same file, we got a problem. So we should make a list that maybe, you would make the first part of the file, then the list would say who is next, and then the next, and so on.

13. NiKo

NiKo

May 2, 2000
    MERANO (BZ) ITALY

Hy guys it's NiKo here! I'm obviously in if you want me.
    I'm not so good as the most experienced of you, but I
    hope you don't want a "Joey Di Maio" (would probably be
    too much exhibitionist). I'm Italian and I've played
    bass for 5 years, I love heavy metal and I'm preetty
    good on composing melodic lines (such like "arpeggio").
    I'll try to do my best for this project. I'll record my
    track with Magix, I've seen the quality is quite good.
    I only ask you a base; you know I would not like to be
    "off topic" with the others (send it to nikoraven@hotmail.com).
    Stay Heavy NiKo Raven

14. What kind of backing track do we want? Maybe there is a song suitable to cover? Still stumped on the backing track.

15. In a previous post, Will C. said

<<How about a Talkbass members' Compilation CD sampler?>>

This would more than likely be the most amicable way to do it. I think your going to have problems accomplishing anything listenable the other way. Some many different styles, among other reasons. Like, how many basses can you put on one recording? You're going to get people unhappy with their mix. I've seen the all bass orchestra at Bass Day, and their great - but too many basses, with too many different styles - yeesh!

I'd be more than happy to submit an MP3 to the compilation CD idea.

Herm

16. Pacman, how much does Nuendo cost?
    <p>
    Herm,
    I kind of like the idea of a compilation album, but I want to just do this through the net, no mail...not everyone has a high speed connection...I wouldn't want to download a whole album. It would be massively cool to do a fundraiser or something but I don't think we would garner as much attention as the artists on the Bassday albums or the SWR sound... I'm certainly not Marcus Miller or John Pattituci!

17. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nuendo costs about $1400. Not cheap, but less expensive than a ProTools TDM system, and let me tell you, it's close in performance.

18. In a previous post, CROZ said...

<<I wouldn't want to download a whole album.>>

Croz,
    Not a whole album, but just one track from each bassist. You wouldn't even have to use the entire track. Just some sort of signature bass line (or solo) from each contributing bassist's submitted track. I don't really know the logistics, just thinking out loud. As far as making money - is that the point? or are we just trying to show our other talkbass users what each of us is about. That's kinda what the gist of this whole idea sounded like to me.

Maybe Paul has a way to offer downloadable MP3's somewhere on this site that we could submit by uploading it, so snail mail wouldn't be involved? Maybe he could offer links directly to Talkbass member's MP3's on another site? Paul, if you reading this - any ideas?

Herm

[Edited by Herm on 11-09-2000 at 09:33 PM]

19. Herm, if you want mp3's to download, start a new thread... I'm sure you'll get a big response, however, I had more of a collaboration in mind for this project...
    As far as making money...I was just thinking out loud, too, but more of in a philanthropic way than a capitolist way. Most of those all-bass albums usually benefit something. I always wanted to save the rainforest. :D I'm no cheapskate. I'd pay for the cost of postage and a blank cd-r no problem if someone was genuinely interested in my playing.

20. NiKo

NiKo

May 2, 2000
    MERANO (BZ) ITALY

Croz, I only have a question. Where have I to send
    my part of the track when I'll have finisched it?