Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Project with my Son!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jimbob, Aug 31, 2003.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    My 9 year old son and I have talked about doing a "guitar type" project. I was thinking about a 5 string kit from Carvin or possibly purchasing a decent but cheap 5 - maybe a Squire or something - from a Thrift Shop / Clearance Sale and work on it with him...take it apart, Clean it up, strip it down, paint it, do the mods, put it together type thing. I know we'll learn something and that is what it is all about really. I do own a guitar repair book that I haven't opened since 1985 or so. That is my general repair experience.

Suggestions?
    Are there other kits out there that are of decent quality? Carvin and Warmoth are the only ones I found so far. I don't want to spend a lot of money because a) he's 9 and might get board and b) the inexperienceed screw-up factor (me).
    Any suggestions-direction would be helpful!

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    If you check ebay, they usually have un-assembled bass kits made by Saga (I think). They run between $100-$125 on average. Check the bass section, and also the parts/accessories section. Not much $$$ if you screw it up! Good luck.

Andy

3. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    item # 2554507868 on ebay. Might be what you're looking for.

Andy

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I checked it out...thanks!

I'll think it over...have you ever bought one of these kits before?

Thanks Again

5. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Never bought one. Always thinking about buying one, just haven't done it yet. It would be a cheap way to experiment tho.

6. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC